Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

radio question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default radio question

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to jeeps but I have a 2000 xj and I'm tring to replace the radio. It already has the infinity system in it and the main thing I wanna know is if there is anything special I have to do to get it to work with the amp. The guy at the shop said he'd do it but I wanna do it myself and I read on crutchfield that it should just wire right in through the harness with no problems. Has anyone had any experience with the infinity system before? And could somebody please tell me te correct speaker size? I've heard anything from 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 to 6x9 so pleaseclarify wat I need lol. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Trace
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to jeeps but I have a 2000 xj and I'm tring to replace the radio. It already has the infinity system in it and the main thing I wanna know is if there is anything special I have to do to get it to work with the amp. The guy at the shop said he'd do it but I wanna do it myself and I read on crutchfield that it should just wire right in through the harness with no problems. Has anyone had any experience with the infinity system before? And could somebody please tell me te correct speaker size? I've heard anything from 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 to 6x9 so pleaseclarify wat I need lol. Thanks.
are u talkin about ur remote wire to ur amp? if so it should be the blue wire if there was no amp before there shouldnt be anything hooked to it. it also might have a white stripe on it it all depends on the deck
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 AM

Well, I came from the honda scene and I've done sound systems before but I haven't even started on this project yet so I don't know what's back there. It's a cherokee classic and it came factory with the infinity system. There is an amp under the back seat but I saw no rca's just a wiring harness. I assume there is a remote wire for it but as I'm new to this type of setup, I figured I'd ask first.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...eep.html..look here for wire colors
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Ok so apparently the xj's with the infnity system do wire in through the harness, but you must make sure you take the remote wire from the head unit and connect it to the pwr antenna from the harness. Otherwise you'll end up like me and I only got stereo. My cd, ipod, and aux were all dead. I had power to the speakers but no sound. But when I connected the two everything worked perfectly. Thx for all the help.

Last edited by Trace; 01-25-2011 at 06:57 PM.