Notices
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator for manual tarns

Old 05-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Radiator for manual tarns

Need to replace rad for my 98 4.0l manual trans xj. Every part store in area seems to only carry ones with extra fitttings I believe are for the auta trans cooling? Can I cap these fittings? Any suggestions would be great thank you!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:50 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I don't think they make radiator for a manual trans , they all come with a trans cooler you don't have to hook it up to anything . It wont leak coolant .
Old 05-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Ok I was worried the lower hose fitting would leak, anyway of finding out for sure?. Just want to make sure before I put one in and can't return it if it doesn't work. Thanks again
Old 05-04-2019, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Those two fittings are connected to a tube inside the side tank of the radiator, which is sealed off from the rest of the radiator. No coolant flows thru that tube.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 PM
gat

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

A radiator for an automatic or manual will still be useable for your Jeep. If you have a manual, then ignore the holes for the transmission oil cooler lines. That is a separate radiator in the same housing. It doesn't cross fluids with the engine's coolant. Even some automatic Jeep's might not use those lines because an aftermarket cooler is used in it's stead. Just ensure that you also get a new cap which fits the new radiator.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by fb97xj1 View Post
Those two fittings are connected to a tube inside the side tank of the radiator, which is sealed off from the rest of the radiator. No coolant flows thru that tube.
This exactly-If you have no automatic trans cooler lines from the trans, no fluid would be supplied to the fitting on the radiator. The fittings are a separate circuit and would be full of transmission fluid if attached to the trans. The radiator coolant goes around the tube inside the tank (not through them). You can actually unscrew them and buy some proper brass plugs from a plumbing supply place if they really bother you by not being attached to anything. Or just put some rubber caps on them.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Ok awesome thank you guys! Much appreciated, hopefully I'll be on the road soon
Old 05-05-2019, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 96 (just purchased) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

I'd cap them with something just to keep critters out, though. Even some tape that will stay put.