Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

questions concerning head bolts/block heater/

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6
Default questions concerning head bolts/block heater/

2000 Cherokee Sport 4-wheel drive I6 4.0 completely stock...okay so I have the 0331head which after reading about every post on here about the swap crack etc. I decided to look in my oil filler cap for a crack seeing as how I have had unexplained coolant loss ,sure enough there is a hairline crack but the majority of cool it is not being lost there my oil still looks great doesn't overheat everything's fine runs great aside from the crackhead. upon doing more inspection I discovered that my freeze plug behind the exhaust catalytic converter was leaking I'd say about 98% of the coolant Im loosing I go from full to add in my reservoir in about 400 miles so long story short I'm planning on putting another head in and replacing the freeze plugs. now I'm going to use new head bolts as advised on the other threads I found some at O'Reilly's but they don't have the washers could I reuse the old washers? or just look for another set with the washers? my other question is I want to put a block heater in the Jeep I'm in North Georgia and it gets pretty damn cold some winters..so has anyone had any problems with the freeze plug leaking after they put the block heater in it's kind of one of those expandable type ones only with the heater element on it and it has a T that lays against the inside of the block that you bolt down from outside. I really want to put one in but seeing as how I've heard bad things about the rubber plugs and it's kind of the same concept for the block heater I don't want to risk a leak and have to take everything apart and redo it. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciative I've already learned so much being a member of this forum.also if anyone has exact size and fitment for the head bolts that I can use to reference when I do purchase them that would be great thanks again

Last edited by howellrobby; 05-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.