Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about gauge cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Question about gauge cluster swap

I'm planning to swap the my gauge cluster on my 96 from a tach-less model to he improved version with actual gauges that tell me things (e.g., tach, water temp, etc.). I have the following how-to that I'm planning to use: http://www.jeepin.com/features/gaugeswap/ but I'm not sure why the author says that I will need a new oil pressure sending unit and coolant temperature sending unit. When I look for the aftermarket parts, they specify years, but not whether you have a gauge cluster with a tach that reads the actual temps. My thought is that I'll be replacing my current sending units iwth identical replacements, rather than something that is designed for a vehicle that actually reads the temps. Does this make sense? Why would I need to invest in that stuff too?

I don't want to go through with all of this just to find out that my gauges don't work.

Thoughts?
s
Old 01-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

As a general rule, temp and oil sending units are different for gauges vs. idiot lights - they have to register different readings to move the gauge needles back and forth, and not simply hit a single threshold to turn a light on or off. Usually, sending units with gauges tend to be a little larger than idiot-light units, and yes, your auto parts counter guy should definitely ask if you have gauges or idiot lights.

I have never done a gauge cluster swap on my '93 XJ, but have done it plenty of times on other cars ('65 Mustang, '69 Fairlane) and it really isn't all that tough. Worst case scenario, you may need to run a wire or two from the sending unit(s) or splice a few wires, but it is usually not that big of a deal and an enjoyable afternoon project.

Good luck!