Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

question about codes im getting

Old 02-19-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default question about codes im getting

1992 cherokee sport 4.0 straight 6 ho
had to replace the TPS because it was bad.........1 day after replacing it the check engine light came on and im getting 5 codes now. they are.....
mapp sensor issues
engine running too cold
intake air temp circuit
throttle position sensor....( brand new)
alternator feild switch not operating correctly or charging system.

question is with all these codes i realized that they all have something to do with the electrical system and i noticed tonight that my alternator is weak, its charging at 11 to 12 volts and under load test its only hitting about 9.
what would cause this???
could it be a resistor, the alternator the voltage regulator or something else??? im no mechanic and I suck at diagnosing problems. anyone else have any ideas...............i figured that ONE component could be bad or going bad and causing all these codes but im not sure. PLEASE HELP, if ya can... Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

do this test. unplug your tps and check the plugs with the jeep running they should be 5 volts.

if it is not that is why you have the codes. since those are on the same circuit that is why you are getting all the codes....
Old 02-19-2011, 06:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

First, post the EXACT codes. With diagnosing OBD, we must have the exact code numbers for us to give you the most accurate replies.

Next,tell us why you replaced the original TPS

Thirdly, where did you buy your TPS? It is not at all unusual to get a bad sensor out of the box. And absolutely stay away from ebay engine management sensors unless you verify the name brand.

Finally, you must get your electrical squared around! Without that, all bets are off. Have your battery LOAD TESTED and have your electrical system TESTED to determine what is wrong and repair. You should be at approx. 14 volts with a healthy battery, healthy charging system.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Originally Posted by tjwalker
First, post the EXACT codes. With diagnosing OBD, we must have the exact code numbers for us to give you the most accurate replies.

Next,tell us why you replaced the original TPS

Thirdly, where did you buy your TPS? It is not at all unusual to get a bad sensor out of the box. And absolutely stay away from ebay engine management sensors unless you verify the name brand.

Finally, you must get your electrical squared around! Without that, all bets are off. Have your battery LOAD TESTED and have your electrical system TESTED to determine what is wrong and repair. You should be at approx. 14 volts with a healthy battery, healthy charging system.

hey man, I had to replace the TPS because the engine light came on when it started bucking and idling high and just running like crap at exceleration the other day, the code was (24) TPS..........I bought one from advanced auto and it fixed the problem. the battery is strong on full charge, its not the battery I know. the charging system is like I said puttin out 9 on load and running like 11 to 12 with engine running.

the codes are numbers 14,17,23,24,41.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

i would clear codes and test after a drive