Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Purpose of each leaf in the pack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Purpose of each leaf in the pack?

What is the purpose of each leaf in the pack? I've heard that hte top is the primary suspension and the bottom is rigid so the springs don't get too much of a negative arch when under load or towing. What do the middle ones do?

The reason I ask is I had a crazy negative arch on my leafs and was bottoming out on the bump stops at nearly every bump (shocks out too). To get a bit of life out of the leafs until I can afford the lift, I did a bastard pack by replacing the second leaf in the XJ pack for a main off of a 93 Blazer. I got 1.75" over stock with it and I don't bottom out, but I feel EVERY little bump on the road and am wondering if the middle leafs help to reduce the 'aftershock' bouncing following a pothole or bump in the road. Oh and By the way, whoever tells you that the Blazer bastard pack doesn't have a rough ride is loony.

Thanks,
s
Old 07-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L home brew Snorkle

im pretty sure that the balzer and your xj have different spring rates because they are rated for different GVW vehicles. i could be wrong because im totally pulling this out of my *****. when i made my bastard pack i went to the JY and got full leaf packs from a 98 XJ. it was the closest thing they had to my 00. so the spring rate might be your problem.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

The terminology you have quoted is laymans terms for a two stage spring like the ones the Blazer has. If you want a completely stock ride, you have to use stock springs. If you want to lift it and retain the stock ride, then you will have to send the spring to a spring factory and have it re arched. You can add, believe it or not, 4-5 inches of lift this way.

When you add a leaf to a spring, no matter which one, you increase the spring rate, or the ability it has to carry a load. Doing this will stiffen the ride, no matter what. The Blazer spring does give a reasonable ride if you use it the way it was designed, with the flat leaf in the bottom. This gives it a variable rate. It has a low rate when extended and gets stronger when all the leaves begin to flatten out at a much greater rate then a single stage spring like the factory ones on our XJs.

Something else you will nee to address is your shocks. It sounds like they may be a bit worn. A good shock engineered for a smooth ride will help.

You can improve your ride a little by using the bottom leaves of the Blazer spring and using the long leaves of your XJ
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

I agree completely with the above comments that the spring rate is higher and that my shocks are worn. This little project was to improve the rear suspention that was too loose for a short while until I can afford a legit lift. I'm not looking for elevation (especially since I cannot afford new shocks and I'm not messing with the front end until the lift).

That being said 4.3L XJ, you're suggesting that I remove the top spring from the Blazer that I added and use only the bottom two (e.g., use the top 2 XJ leafs and use the bottom two Blazer leafs)? Remember, my ultimate goal is to improve suspension without lifting more than 2" over stock (the top limit for the stock shocks as I understand).

Suggestions and advice requested!
s
Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

This will still lift the rear. You might only want to use just the third leaf. At any rate, the idea is that the end of the XJ spring will flex easier than the middle of he spring and absorb some of the little bumps better. Many add a leaf kits do this and retain a nearly stock ride.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
This will still lift the rear. You might only want to use just the third leaf. At any rate, the idea is that the end of the XJ spring will flex easier than the middle of he spring and absorb some of the little bumps better. Many add a leaf kits do this and retain a nearly stock ride.
Both the XJ and the Blazer leaf packs come with 4 leafs. So, just to make sure we're on the same page, your suggestion is that I use the XJ main, XJ 2nd, Blazer 3rd, and XJ 4th?

Thanks,
s
Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, I think that might work better for you.