Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PS Pump/Reservoir Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
MrP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PS Pump/Reservoir Leak

Hello all!

I drive a 2000 4.0L Cherokee Sport. For a while now I've had an intermittent drip of PS fluid coming from under the hood. A day ago I was driving home and heard a whine, especially when turning. When I got home I noticed the drip was now leaking steadily. It seems to be coming from the junction of the Pump and Reservoir. I removed the pump and the o-ring at the connection was perfectly intact, and lubricated with P/S fluid. I put everything back in today and it started leaking again just as badly. In addition my serpentine belt also now makes a squeal every time it goes over the pump pulley. It goes away at idle if I squirt some water on it making me think it's possibly belt related also. I've tried tightening the belt and loosening it, to no avail. Tightening it yields a steady squeal while loosening it makes it seem to only squeal as it rounds the ps pump pulley. I'll try and add some pictures to show the leak, I would greatly appreciate any insight into where it might be coming from if I'm incorrect and what I should do about it. I'm leaning towards replacing the pump/reservoir although they both look intact as well as picking up a Gatorback. Is it possible the clips that hold the two together are bent or miss-aligned causing the leak?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide.

Also sorry for the awful camera phone pix

Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
MrP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Bump, hoping someone has an idea. Planning to just replace the pump and reservoir and get a new pulley.