Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PS pump leak- loose gear box at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question PS pump leak- loose gear box at fault?

I bought a '90 Cherokee last year and have been enjoying it without problems that I couldn't diagnose myself, until earlier this year I began noticing some ps fluid leaking, and after I could hear a rubbing sound when cutting the wheel. I would add a bottle of fluid, then the sound came back, and this cycle shortened each time. Now, fluid doesn't seem to flow, and foams up at the top. I took it to a shop and the guy said that it is caused from the gear box being loose and causing an extra strain on the pump. To me this would make sense because as the leaking worsened I also noticed the steering loosen significantly. The tech also said that if I just replace the pump or wherever the leak is that the box will just cause more leaking? Is there a near foolproof way to tighten, rebuild, or fix the box otherwise, would you recommend replacing both that and the pump? Or how otherwise would you advise I go about fixing this? I'd like to do this as cheaply as possible- rather not buy what I don't need to buy. I don't think either part is completely shot I've since stopped driving it when I heard popping when turning the wheel.