Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PROJECT STACEY-need help with a fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 4 door sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straigh 6
Arrow PROJECT STACEY-need help with a fix

Hello every one,

This august I purchased a 1999 XJ, she is a 4 door sport. I have a long list of things that i would like to do to here to get her ready to curb stomp the world. However, I am plagued by problems to start (mostly my fault). The most recent of which was a major vibration (at 65mph i sounded like a B-17). I am sure that i isolated the vibration to the left front, but am still not sure of the cause of it. That would be problem 1

Problem 2 is that this vibration caused a major malfunction in my transfer case. I have either blown a seal or blown a gasket and will either need to rebuild or replace it.

I have been told (by a well seasoned mechanic) that i can do all of the work myself but i need to know about how much i should expect to pay for a salvage yard transfer case, and what i can do to diagnose the cause of this disaster. (my thoughts are 1. wheel baring 2. u-joints 3. whatever is wrong with the transfer case).

Any thoughts you guys have would be great!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

front drive shaft u joints... maybe bearing... jack up the front and grab the tire at the top and bottom... lift it up and down like and if it moves then you got bad bearing... if you think this vibration caused the leak in the xfer case then maybe u joints... move it up and down, left and right, turn it around... if it has crazy play then the u joints are bad... if its just the seal for the driveshaft you dont have to rebuild... just replace that $10 seal...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Default news update

Update,

So transfer case was totally blown and it is time to replace it. I was just wondering if i could get some insight on how difficult this swap is going to be.

I also want to upgrade the transfer case to the other model that was made for the 99-01. My current case is the one that had 2 high, 4 high, and 4 lo. I am looking to upgrade to the 2 high, 4 high, 4 high all time, and 4 lo (i believe it is the NP 242?), does any one know if this is possible, details i should look out for, and or how hard it would be?.

Any insight you guys have would be great. Also if you think there is anything i should look at or replace while i am in there i would appreciate the advice. As far as I know everything is stock from 99.

Thanks guys
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I have the np231, when I replaced my clutch I had to drop the tranny and transfer case, but I didn't have enough room to drop the t-case first, so I had to drop the tranny and t-case at the same time. Basically I'm telling you in order to exchange the t-case you'll have to drop the tranny (which is a pain). I don't know if you can exchange it with a np242. Personally I wouldn't, the np231 is a solid t-case. I'm not sure a 242 would be an upgrade.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
MJ>XJ

242 is equal to the 231... and you CAN pull the xfer case without pulling the tranny... drop the crossmember with the tranny on a jack... lower the jack till the engine valve cover meets the firewall... this will allow enough room on top for the xfer case to get wreches and such... you dont want the 242 from the WJ... its setup different... the front yoke is different and requires a different driveshaft... plus the WJ's had different styles within the 5 years made... the axle end may even be different if i remember from pulling mine... the cherokees also came with the 242 .... so shop around...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM

Sweet, Thanks.

I was asking about the 242 cause i have my eyes on some for the same make, model, and year bracket as my xj.

My tranny is also an automatic.

Any other words of wisdom?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Make sure the spline count matches as 242s and 231s came in 21 and 23 spline versions. Also get one that is not vacuum controlled since your later style would require no vacuum switch.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
MJ>XJ

you can ride with the vaccum switch on the 231... used as a plug basically... mines still there but i got a cable conversion... its fine...
Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Default Latest and greatest

Hey guys,

Its been a while since i have been on. In the mean time i have graduated and found a job with the state of vermont as a construction inspector. . and as the new job requires a reliable vehicle i am the proud new owner of a sexy, silver, 2001 4door 4wd XJ (pics later).

On too the new news. We found out what was wrong with stacey... I tore the pinion gears on the left side of the axle. I have picked up a replacement, and based on the knowledgeable people that i have asked, the opinion is that it is in great shape.

here are the pics (see attached).

I also managed to pic up an all parts included 3.5" tuff country lift (with rear blocks instead of springs) for real cheap. a kid ordered one from a shop and couldnt afford the rest so i got to pick it up for the shops break even cost (they were going to send it back the day i was at the shop and told about it). Pics will follow.

So this weekend my friend and I are going to do a front end over haul and put in the rear blocks, as well as replace the break lines and what ever else needs to be replaced. (this is phase one btw, stand by for phase two at a later date).

If any of you have any advice or suggestions, other things to look for, etc. it would be much appreciated. Or anything else i should replace while i am in there please let me know. I will also be looking at the transfer case and the transmission if it still doesnt sound right after i get it back together.

thanks everyone!!!!
Attached Thumbnails PROJECT STACEY-need help with a fix-xj-front-axel-2-5.jpg  
Attached Images     
Old 10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
MJ>XJ

theres no such thing as drivers side pinon gears? there is the ring and pinion but thats inside the diff cover and if it goes the whole front axle is pretty much done since its cheaper just to buy a whole nother axle... but its not justified by side... and are the pics of the one your going to buy or have already bought?
Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 PM
MJ>XJ

and i dont know where you live but down here we would consider that one a little rusty... should be alright if you dont mind the looks... and the spindles are good to go...
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
and i dont know where you live but down here we would consider that one a little rusty... should be alright if you dont mind the looks... and the spindles are good to go...
remember we're in rust free georgia though You only ask about rust on a car around here if its like a 70s model lol
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
MJ>XJ

lol... yeah i know... but he doesnt have listed where he lives... if that was in GA is say... NEXT... lol
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Default the axle

that is the one i have already gotten.

and no i dont mind the rust. I live in new hampshire. so for 115,000 on the one i just bought and it being a new england axle i would say it is in great shape.

i dont know if you guys the remember the vibrations i had in the last one, but do you think they may have cost damage to the bearing/hub assemblies or the transfer case and worse-case even the tranny?

i will post pictures when i pull it apart.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
lol... yeah i know... but he doesnt have listed where he lives... if that was in GA is say... NEXT... lol
haha that thing would have to have been stored in water for it to be that rusty down here lol

Quick Reply: PROJECT STACEY-need help with a fix