Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Prestone Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak compatible with 2001 Cherokee XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Question Prestone Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak compatible with 2001 Cherokee XJ?

Hi. Is Prestone Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak compatible with a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ?

Here's a link to it at Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...32-oz/20746454
Old 09-17-2018, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

In my experience, no. I found that universal power steering fluid did not handle the temperature of the power steering pump that well. It tended to scorch rather quickly (becoming darker and smelling burnt). Once I resorted back to a more ATF like fluid (like Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4, or even Valvoline Maxlife ATF), it handled the temperature fine and did not become scorched. So just based on my experience, if I really wanted to add stop leak, I would go with the fluids I mentioned, and then a separate stop leak additive. I'm also basing my opinion on our power steering pumps being the same or very similar (but mine is a 96, so of that I am not certain).
Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
In my experience, no. I found that universal power steering fluid did not handle the temperature of the power steering pump that well. It tended to scorch rather quickly (becoming darker and smelling burnt). Once I resorted back to a more ATF like fluid (like Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4, or even Valvoline Maxlife ATF), it handled the temperature fine and did not become scorched. So just based on my experience, if I really wanted to add stop leak, I would go with the fluids I mentioned, and then a separate stop leak additive. I'm also basing my opinion on our power steering pumps being the same or very similar (but mine is a 96, so of that I am not certain).
Thanks for your experiences. I appreciate it. I called a Jeep Chrysler dealership, and they said to not to use an ATF +4. So now I'm really not sure!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Are you looking at that as a power steering fluid or for the stop leak? If the system is leaking, fix it, especially it's its a hose. It's a pretty simple system. I have 98 and a 99 Cherokee and have used off the shelf power steering fluid in both without issues for many years and miles. I have also had the high pressure hose leak on both of them. Developed a leak at the same spot on both. Hose is $15 and easy to change with a crows foot wrench. I do exchange as much fluid as possible every other year. I use a syringe to get as much out of the reservoir as possible and then refill. I do that a few times until it comes out mostly clean.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by dzywicki
Are you looking at that as a power steering fluid or for the stop leak? If the system is leaking, fix it, especially it's its a hose. It's a pretty simple system. I have 98 and a 99 Cherokee and have used off the shelf power steering fluid in both without issues for many years and miles. I have also had the high pressure hose leak on both of them. Developed a leak at the same spot on both. Hose is $15 and easy to change with a crows foot wrench. I do exchange as much fluid as possible every other year. I use a syringe to get as much out of the reservoir as possible and then refill. I do that a few times until it comes out mostly clean.
Good question. Short answer: I'm primarily looking at that as a power steering fluid, but if it happens to fix any issue, great.

Long story: Power steering starting groaning today. I took a look a the power steering fluid level, and it's almost dry. I have a mechanic change the engine oil, and they are supposed to also check all fluid levels. If they've been doing their job, it's a rather fast leak (got oil changed recently), and I'll have to have someone diagnose and fix the problem (I've got a bad back and can't get in there easily). If the mechanic hasn't been doing their job by checking fluid levels, then it's possible it's a very slow leak, and so I thought perhaps a power steering fluid with "Stop Leak" might help. On the other hand, I've heard some people say to never use such a product... so I'm not sure what to do for my XJ.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Stop leak for things like pumps works by swelling existing seals. That is all. So it can help, but only in a narrow range of problems. If the seals are damaged (like they have started to disintegrate, or have little chunks missing from them) the stop leak doesn't usually help. It tends to help most when seals are in good shape, but have hardened and shrunk over time. Its ok as a last option before replacing the component, but the chances of it helping are relatively low.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I stay away from leak stop stuff it seems to cause me more problems than its worth . example I used Valvoline max life in my old cj7 that had a rear main seal drip after about 300 miles the slow drip I had became a steady drip and then started pouring out I had to have it towed home and fix it , I had a power steering leak on a old chevy celeberty I put the power steering fluid with stop leak in it that your talking about it worked great....for about 2 days then my slow leak was back then got worse I ended up fixing the hose . ive also ran barrs radiator stop in an emergency it worked good to get me home... it stopped the leak, plugged the heater core ,clogged my heater valve clogged my heater hoses it cost me more than a tow job and radiator replacement witch was the original problem
Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
I stay away from leak stop stuff it seems to cause me more problems than its worth . example I used Valvoline max life in my old cj7 that had a rear main seal drip after about 300 miles the slow drip I had became a steady drip and then started pouring out I had to have it towed home and fix it , I had a power steering leak on a old chevy celeberty I put the power steering fluid with stop leak in it that your talking about it worked great....for about 2 days then my slow leak was back then got worse I ended up fixing the hose . ive also ran barrs radiator stop in an emergency it worked good to get me home... it stopped the leak, plugged the heater core ,clogged my heater valve clogged my heater hoses it cost me more than a tow job and radiator replacement witch was the original problem
Agreed. I don't use those products very often - if ever. I had an inner axle seal that was starting to leave me a puddle on the floor every morning. Knowing that I would have to do the seal any way, I tried some of the blue devil additive to the diff oil to see if it would buy me some more time (it was January and freezing cold). Within 24 hours of adding the product, the seal became fully failed and oil was splattering all over the place. Much worse than the small leak I had. When I got it all apart to fix, I learned that 1. The inner axle seal on an XJ is not of the type that would be helped by a stop-leak product (its the wrong type of seal), and that 2. the product caused the seal to quickly fail most likely because it swelled the material a little which probably caused it to become much hotter, and it fully deformed the seal (hard to describe in text). I probably would not add these types of products to more complex components unless I was fully prepared to replace them (parts, time, and place to do the work).
Old 09-18-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Agreed. I don't use those products very often - if ever. I had an inner axle seal that was starting to leave me a puddle on the floor every morning. Knowing that I would have to do the seal any way, I tried some of the blue devil additive to the diff oil to see if it would buy me some more time (it was January and freezing cold). Within 24 hours of adding the product, the seal became fully failed and oil was splattering all over the place. Much worse than the small leak I had. When I got it all apart to fix, I learned that 1. The inner axle seal on an XJ is not of the type that would be helped by a stop-leak product (its the wrong type of seal), and that 2. the product caused the seal to quickly fail most likely because it swelled the material a little which probably caused it to become much hotter, and it fully deformed the seal (hard to describe in text). I probably would not add these types of products to more complex components unless I was fully prepared to replace them (parts, time, and place to do the work).
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I'll fill it up with non-leak-stop power steering fluid. The dealership has the MOPAR OEM fluid, but it's not cheap, and I dislike going to dealerships unless I really have to. Are there any particular brands available at the big box stores that match the MOPAR formulation?

Here's what Wally World has:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...icles/45863640
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...32-oz/16821276

Also, given that the reservoir is basically empty, how much will I likely need?
Old 09-19-2018, 04:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 205 Posts
Engine: 98 stroked 4.7

the pressure hose is 20 bucks at advance... or anywhere else. the return is a piece of rubber hose. just replace. any power steering fluid will work fine
Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

its a 17 year old system. Save up your pennies, or just bite the bullet and replace the pump, reservoir and pressure hoses. FWIW, i run basic NAPA brand power steering fluid and have no issues with 35's while crawling on the stock box and pump.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

If it's leaking, fix it. For fluid I use Mercon atf in mine, works good.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I use PS fluid (not ATF) but honestly they are both fine.

I am currently running Amsoil for no reason other than to waste money (though I dropped alot of money into my power steering pump and gear rebuild so I wanted to use the best). Lubeguard is excellent as well and I think my local O'Reilly auto parts carries it. Valvoline PowerSteering fluid is more than adequate, and clean fluid is better than dirty fluid so change as much of it as you can.

I feel like the synthetic fluid has less whine in extreme temps or when I am working the steering gear hard, but it might just be placebo.