Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

pressure wash engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default pressure wash engine ?

Can I simply pop the hood and gently pressure wash the engine compartment ?

Or perhaps use the garden hose ?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Yes, but be careful around the electrical connections. I personally just use engine degreaser, brake cleaner, and a hose with a high pressure nozzle.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Ive been washing my engines since the 80s at the carwash. Only trouble I ever had was my old '63 valiant would need the rotor and distributor removed and dried as water would get in there.

Just try to avoid the computer/relay boxes.

Gunk engine degreaser works great, otherwise Simple Green works fine too.

Start the engine as soon as you are done washing. The heat and fans help dry it off.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.L I-6

Just be aware that if you clean the engine in your driveway that's where all that goop you wash off the engine will end up. Unless you want to clean the driveway after you're finished you might want to check out your local car wash. Most of them have an underground 'grease pit' that they pump out periodically.
Some don't allow engine cleaning; at least in some areas.

Tom
Old 04-21-2015, 06:13 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Stay away from the TPS!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Personally, unless the build up of gunk is quite bad, I think pressure washing engines is more of something that is done to make the owner feel good, than to truly help the engine.

A little bit of grease on an engine is not going to hurt anything. Speaking from 40 years of wrenching experience.

If you do decide to do it, be darn careful around anything electrical!! I can't tell you how many guys I've helped that can't get their engines started after washing the engine bay.......
Old 04-21-2015, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

I can link you to dozens of threads started by XJ owners after pressure washing their engine. "Engine stumbles", "Won't Start!! WAAHH" "Rough Idle" "Engine Bogs". Be prepared and, as Cruiser mentioned, avoid the TPS.

Fortunately, it's rare for any of these problems to persist after the engine dries. I used to vehemently discourage the practice but it seems that most of the issues associated with washing your engine are temporary, except for getting the TPS wet. I use those pump up garden sprayers, one with Simple Green, the other with water. They provide a lot more control as far as where the cleaner/water goes so I don't just blast the crap out of everything.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

My neighbor had a Bronco II that would pull water through the intake gasket whenever he washed the engine. Always had to wait a few days to start it. I've never had a problem with the Jeep but I am always thinking about it, and thinking about the way the intake and exhaust manifolds like to separate.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

As the saying goes, " the juice is not worth the squeeze ". Unless you just went mud bogging a little dirt doesn't hurt. Like a few guys above, I've only ever spot cleaned and only after major mud diving. Anything else is just for show and that ain't cool.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:19 AM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I wouldn't use a pressure washer, but low-pressure water is fine. I just use some simple green in a spray bottle, a soft wheel brush, and a hose attachment like this that gives you a high volume of water at low pressure (designed for watering plants). Cover up the brake fluid reservoir or any other things you don't want to get wet (top of oil dipstick) with plastic or aluminum foil, take off any plastic shrouds or covers, and gently spray it down with the garden wand. Spray everything with simple green or another mild cleaner of your choice, using the brush on the stubborn areas. After hosing everything down a second time to rinse all the cleaner and gunk off, I use a shop vac to suck up all the water that pools on top of the engine and elsewhere before driving it a bit to get everything nice and dry. Cleaning your engine bay is especially important in the spring if you live in an area with road salt. If so, I also recommend using a sprinkler like the one below to clean off the underside of the car as well.

Yeah, I'm **** retentive about it, but it works very well.