Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power windows......

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power windows......

I know this question has been beaten to death, but I've scoured the net, forums, pulled apart the door a couple times and still nothing..
So I was hoping someone might have experience they'd be willing to share for my particular case.
Only the drivers side works. None of the other switches do anything. With the drivers side controls when I try the passenger side I can hear the motor going but the window doesn't go down. The back two, nothin at all. I'm at a loss, and I'm hoping I can get a tip before I start following each and every wire. I hate electronics.
Any help would be VERY appreciated. It's hot as hell out and I need some air flow!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Which door did you pull a part? I had a similar issue, turned out that the driver's side harness inside the door have to come loose just barely. Make sure to press it in well give it a try before putting the door back together. If no luck there is a chance you can bypass the safety lockout that often goes bad. Search the forum for "Passenger Window" and the trick should be posted in several threads. Best of luck.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Member

I pulled apart the drivers side and did pull the switch out and plug it back in. I went to pick n pull and even got another switch and still the same thing.
An i've heard about that trick about bypassing the lock, but I'm not convinced that's the problem, just because the back to don't work at all, can't even hear the motors going. Although if the passenger's motor is going, window not working. BUT its own switch does nothing, could be.
I'm thinking it could be some wires or grounds that are f-ed.
You can see the confusion I'm having with these..
Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Year: 1999

I totally get the frustration, we are mechanical men in an electrical age. The rears making no noise makes me tend to think the safety lock is gone. The passenger side making noise but no action makes me think it has somehow come off the track maybe.
Stick around, there are plenty of gurus here that know way more about electrical gremlins than I do.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Seasoned Member

I know what you mean. Gimme something mechanical no prob. Start getting into wiring diagrams and no idea. I think you're right about the passenger side. It's either that or the plastic worm screw I've heard about.
Maybe I'll take some dust cleaner and blast the switch with the lock.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech
Default DC Electricity

Automotive electricity is much easier than most people realize. I suggest getting a book or two on basic electricity with emphasis on automotive. It will allow you to troubleshoot your own problems and amaze your friends. Purchase a digital volt meter and devise some experiments based on the books and you'll begin to understand how simple it is. All you need is a power source (battery in the case of autos) wiring, a device (light, motor, horn, relay, etc.), and a path back to the power source (either the vehicle frame/body or wiring) and you have DC power! If the device isn't working even though you have battery voltage to it, and there is a good ground in place the device is obviously toast. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the info. That actually does help a bit. And I have a volt meter, the problem i have is more of patience screwin around following wires.