Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power window problem

Today I tried to roll my passenger side (power) window down using the control on the driver's side and no luck. Used the control on the passenger side and the window went down but now wont go back up (using either control). Electronics are 100% my weak suit so I was wondering what the troubleshooting steps would be here. All other windows work like they should. I've seen people say it can be the child lock switch on the driver panel, but if that were broken wouldn't the passenger control not work at all? Also how do I get the window up in the mean time while I figure out what's wrong. Dunno if it's related but the power locks have had issues for a while (given up on them, they are now manual locks).

2001 XJ

Thanks

Last edited by laytox; 01-20-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

You can try to bypass the window lockout switch with a paperclip (google should tell you the pins, the connector is in the driver side kick panel). I would bet that you have a break in the wires going from the body to the door electronics in one of the front doors.

I swapped out my harnesses from ones at the junkyard, but soldering would be fine - mine had multiple breaks and repairs so I just went with new ones and taped them with thick gorilla tape to try and prevent them from chafing through.