Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Potential Problems 94 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Potential Problems 94 XJ

Proud ? new owner of a 94 XJ.

The 2 most common faults occurred on the drive home from purchase; fuel pump, ( finally banging on it got me mobile again then the coil went, necessitating a slow tow and then trailer hire to get home.

I now have access to 2 wrecks and want to know what I should take off them for backup parts; twice bitten .
Fuel pump and coil I have backups. Next target is spare crankshaft sensor

So what are the other potential problems with this model and what problems have others experienced
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

I don't know that I'd go out of my way to have used fuel pumps and sensors. Electronics can wear from thermal changes via the seasons and changes in moisture as well. I wouldn't mind using them from a "donor", but removing them to store is a different beast. A new after-market fuel pump can be found for around $50 I think. I got an opened box Bosch pump on Amazon for around $40. Alternators and starters and other pulley driven parts are things that I might consider "salvaging" from the two wrecks.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gat
I don't know that I'd go out of my way to have used fuel pumps and sensors. Electronics can wear from thermal changes via the seasons and changes in moisture as well. I wouldn't mind using them from a "donor", but removing them to store is a different beast. A new after-market fuel pump can be found for around $50 I think. I got an opened box Bosch pump on Amazon for around $40. Alternators and starters and other pulley driven parts are things that I might consider "salvaging" from the two wrecks.
Valid points but here in the Far Far Remote North of New Zealand climate is pretty steady, no extremes of hot and cold tho salt air corrosion is a factor.
Also a $US50 part can be $NZ150 when landed.
Yeah, with all the stuff at hand off a known runner I'm gonna grab everything I can but electronics, thanks to your advice I will keep in a cool, moisture controlled environment.till needed.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 368 Likes on 328 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

All the light lenses (but if it's FREE, then take EVERYTHING!).
Old 03-21-2019, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Seriously - grab everything you can!

My dad had a 94 and had zero major problems with it during the 15 years and 400k miles he had it, so it would be hard for me to suggest any particular "problematic" item.

Hope you're doing well in NZ -- make sure your sporting rifles are well hidden!! If there's any the government knows about, make sure you report that they fell off the boat tragically somewhere far off the coast and due to the trauma you can't recall exactly where or when.