Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Potential buy opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Potential buy opinions wanted

I found an xj parked and I'm looking for a vehicle. I have a very limited budget. Door says mfd in 1998. One rust spot on the rocker, ignition switch is broken (it turns to the run position without actually doing anything and with no resistance) trim missing off drivers door, pass floorboard puddled with water, driver seat not installed correctly as it's loose, both rail lights cracked but not broken, tag light trim cracked in a few places, tires look like racing slicks, engine bay looks cleanish, fluids looked ok, coolant was bright green. Guy I was talking to said it's his nephew's and that he has no idea how many miles are on it, and that it may have had a blown head gasket but he's not sure .

Aside from all that everything else looks to be in decent shape, not that that's a whole lot...

What would y'all think it was worth? I was going to offer 250 and just see if he would sell.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 97blueXJ
I found an xj parked and I'm looking for a vehicle. I have a very limited budget. Door says mfd in 1998. One rust spot on the rocker, ignition switch is broken (it turns to the run position without actually doing anything and with no resistance) trim missing off drivers door, pass floorboard puddled with water, driver seat not installed correctly as it's loose, both rail lights cracked but not broken, tag light trim cracked in a few places, tires look like racing slicks, engine bay looks cleanish, fluids looked ok, coolant was bright green. Guy I was talking to said it's his nephew's and that he has no idea how many miles are on it, and that it may have had a blown head gasket but he's not sure .

Aside from all that everything else looks to be in decent shape, not that that's a whole lot...

What would y'all think it was worth? I was going to offer 250 and just see if he would sell.
You could part it out for way more than that, see if he takes it.

You could get $150 to $200 a piece for the axles, $75 for the head, a couple hundred for the block and transmission... If its a brick and would cost a ~$1000 to $1500 to get it running, he may go for it.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Year: 1997

I could part it out true, but I'm interested in fixing it and having a roadworthy vehicle so my girlfriend and I can quit relying on just the 97 with 2 jobs on opposite shifts and 2 kids half the time..
Old 03-02-2019, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"pass floorboard puddled with water, driver seat not installed correctly as it's loose, "

Floor is trashed, why not just buy a vehicle that isn't a complete POS?
It sounds like this thing will require at least 5 years worth of Saturdays before it even sees pavement.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well, think of it this way.

If the head gasket is blown, that will cost you in the $1000 to $1500 range to bring it to a shop, if there is nothing wrong with the head and it doesn't need to be resurfaced or replaced. Replacement, you are looking at $2000.
If you can do it yourself, you are probably looking at $200 to $300 worth of parts and fluids, if the head studs don't need to be replaced. Maybe a bit less.
You could find used tires for a few hundred.
Oil change and filter $20 - $30, depending on if you go with SuperTech, etc.
If you don't do any other fluids, stop there.
So assuming there is nothing else wrong with the vehicle, you are already going to be in $500 to $750 just to get it on the road plus a few weekends or so worth of work. Plus Cherokees aren't known for their fuel efficiency, maybe find a mid-90s Toyota or Honda that is running (~$1000). You should be able to get one for around the same and get 2 to 3X the fuel economy.
Plus $100 to $150 to get the thing registered and titled since I see that you live in NC. I paid ~$160 last year for my '99.

Last edited by jburg318; 03-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:46 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by 97blueXJ
I could part it out true, but I'm interested in fixing it and having a roadworthy vehicle so my girlfriend and I can quit relying on just the 97 with 2 jobs on opposite shifts and 2 kids half the time..
If you already have an XJ, better of getting a car that doesnt chew the juice for a GF car

fixing broken seats, ignitions locks 7& so forth is not so much fun, probably find rust & sh!thouse auto electrics

every old jeep I see has several electrical issues