Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PLZ HELP, ignition lock cylinder/tumbler no tension...no start

Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default PLZ HELP, ignition lock cylinder/tumbler no tension...no start

Hi,
I really need some more detailed info. I have read about three or four threads on this problem and watched a couple youtube videos and not seeing the information I think I'll need. My jeep is in a parking lot so I won't be able to go work on it til morning hopefully I can get help by then. Went to start it after getting some dinner and there is no tension on it at all. You can turn it totally forward and it won't start. Accessories and everything else come on fine. I took off the plastic and tried looking around and couldn't find the "rod" looks like it's pretty hidden on this one. Didn't have the special torx bits in the car anyways. Now Is this a problem with the rod? On a 96 cherokee can i just push the release button and get the cylinder out and will that show me anything or do I need to pull off the whole ignition switch? Some detailed information would be great. Thanks as always in advance,
Lee
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Well that sucks.. First, I'd get it home. Turn the key to the normal running position (dash lights, ding-ding, etc) Make sure it's in park. Then pop the hood and from the pass side you should see the starter solenoid. Short two of the three connections together. The big one to a small one.. sorry, i don't have a pic but you'll figure it out. It will spark a bit, but should crank it. Hop in and fix it at home.
I have a shop manual with pics of the proceedure to remove the cylinder and get to the ignition switch to replace it. That's probably the part that broke. I'll go ahead and upload the pics.. if they don't match yours, no harm done. good luck!
Attached Thumbnails PLZ HELP, ignition lock cylinder/tumbler no tension...no start-ignition1.jpg   PLZ HELP, ignition lock cylinder/tumbler no tension...no start-ignition2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

Sounds like a bad ignition switch or the switch selector rod is bound up. Fairly easy fix. Like the other person said just jump the solenoid over and you should be abled to get it home.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 PM

I noticed the pictures you uploaded show the shift selector on the wheel. Mine is in the middle, so I don't think it's quite exact. What year are those instructions for? It still does help some though. I have also watched the video for removing the ignition switch. I just didn't think it would be that because I talked to my uncle and he talked about the "rod" is what is spring loaded and has the tension... so maybe it's the switch selector rod but don't know if that to pertains to when it's on the steering column and not the middle console... I definitely didn't think about jumping the solenoid to get it home... duh! Considering driving back to the restaurant now to pull that one off... It does have a 190k miles if that helps at all.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:42 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L6

I'm about 90% sure thats ignition switch. My buddie's went out and did the exact same thing. Had to jump the starter for about a week while i planned out a cheaper fix than replacing the switch. Ended up converting it to a push button start. Cost about 8 bucks, and 2 hours, but almost more worth doing that than the switch
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Ya, I see the switch is about 37$ at advance auto... Was also considering taking a trip to the junkyard today and seeing if I can find one there. I figure 5-10$ for a set of the special torx bits and then 5$ for a used ignition switch... Going to go "jump" it right now and of course it snowed last night. time to get wet. I'll let you know how it goes...
Thanks again,
Lee
Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by leethedeuce
I noticed the pictures you uploaded show the shift selector on the wheel. Mine is in the middle, so I don't think it's quite exact. What year are those instructions for? It still does help some though. I have also watched the video for removing the ignition switch. I just didn't think it would be that because I talked to my uncle and he talked about the "rod" is what is spring loaded and has the tension... so maybe it's the switch selector rod but don't know if that to pertains to when it's on the steering column and not the middle console... I definitely didn't think about jumping the solenoid to get it home... duh! Considering driving back to the restaurant now to pull that one off... It does have a 190k miles if that helps at all.
I didn't notice the column shifter til you mentioned it.. Mine's a '93 and has the console shifter too. I looked but couldn't find WHAT year(s) my e-manual is for. I'm sure you'll get 'er done tho
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 PM

Default SOLVED!

Ok,
Hopefully this post isn't too long. Ok I got it fixed took a trip to the junkyard, a ignition switch and lock cylinder out of a 94 or 95 grand cherokee, and a whole day to get it fixed. The part that was broken was not the ignition switch it was the lock cylinder at the end that turns the ignition switch...that cheap pot metal broke and that is why it had no tension. So to be able to use my same key took quite some time and I was damn near just buying an ignition lock cylinder w/ key off of ebay and waiting a few days as they are only 17$ shipped on ebay in case it helps anyone else. Fortunately the piece that broke on mine wasn't even held on at all on the lock cylinder off the grand cherokee.
So i after grinding the broken piece off of my lock cylinder/tumbler I then sanded/grinded off the lip that holds it on so that I could get the end I had off the junkyard one on. I was going to loc-tite it on but I grinded it just well enough that I had to tap it on with a hammer so it is fairly snug, popped it all back together and it is working as good as new and only cost me 5$. If anyone needs an ignition switch out of a 94 grand cherokee let me know, will gladly sell it to a forum member cheap.
p.s. I uploaded a photo to show what broke on mine.
Thanks everyone for your help it is greatly appreciated,
Lee
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM

Engine: 4.0 six
Default jeep cherokee ignition switch actuator breaks

Anyone who has a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that when the ignition key is turned but wont go up into the start position to crank the engine over, please check the link between the lock cylinder and the ignition switch. You will find that the end of the link or (actuator) as it's called is broken and wont allow the switch to turn far enough up into the start position. Some post have said you can't get this part anymore or you have to get the whole steering column to get this part. The key is knowing what this part is called. The name of the part is the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin. You can buy this part at Rockauto.com for $27.79 DORMAN part no. 924704 (924-704) Ignition Switch Actuator Pin $ 27.79 or Oriley autoparts also has it. This may be a repair for other year jeeps
Old 05-31-2014, 05:19 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: V8 5.2
Default Hope this helps.....

Just finished fixing my ignition issue and thought I would share, it really wasn't that hard to do. This is for a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2

Remove the Negative Connector from the battery.( you do not want to short out anything)

Remove the Tilt Adjust lever it will turn out counter clockwise.

Remove the steering column cover, 3 screws underside longer one is in the middle of steering column cover , They are are T20 ( Torx ). both pieces should be easy to separate now.Make sure the ignition is in the lock position take out key.

There are 3 T20 safety screws ( Torx with center removed) about $14.99 at autozone for a complete set. The Ignition key switch is about $70us also at autozone, If the piece is broke off as pictured make sure you get the broken piece out before re-installing ecverything or you wil need to buy the Ignition switch as well which is $43us Autozone

Remove the 7 wire connector, the 4 wire connector from the ignition switch, ( watch for grease) Remove the Black Screw in the side of the Ignition swich module, turn ignition to on (with Key)position and slide out ( should be no effort at all).

Reverse procedure to install
Attached Thumbnails PLZ HELP, ignition lock cylinder/tumbler no tension...no start-ignition-key-switch.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by smgordon1259; 06-01-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-31-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is for a '95 Grand Cherokee?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:10 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: V8 5.2
Default ?

Yes 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo v8 5.2
Old 07-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Ignition

Originally Posted by leethedeuce
Ok,
Hopefully this post isn't too long. Ok I got it fixed took a trip to the junkyard, a ignition switch and lock cylinder out of a 94 or 95 grand cherokee, and a whole day to get it fixed. The part that was broken was not the ignition switch it was the lock cylinder at the end that turns the ignition switch...that cheap pot metal broke and that is why it had no tension. So to be able to use my same key took quite some time and I was damn near just buying an ignition lock cylinder w/ key off of ebay and waiting a few days as they are only 17$ shipped on ebay in case it helps anyone else. Fortunately the piece that broke on mine wasn't even held on at all on the lock cylinder off the grand cherokee.
So i after grinding the broken piece off of my lock cylinder/tumbler I then sanded/grinded off the lip that holds it on so that I could get the end I had off the junkyard one on. I was going to loc-tite it on but I grinded it just well enough that I had to tap it on with a hammer so it is fairly snug, popped it all back together and it is working as good as new and only cost me 5$. If anyone needs an ignition switch out of a 94 grand cherokee let me know, will gladly sell it to a forum member cheap.
p.s. I uploaded a photo to show what broke on mine.
Thanks everyone for your help it is greatly appreciated,
Lee
I have a 98 my lock cylinder don’t look like that but has similar problem my gauges go off unless I hold it forward like I’m going to start it again and gauges work but let go of lock cylinder they go off what could be my problem