Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!! How can I tell if my front differential is bad??(I have a humm

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!! How can I tell if my front differential is bad??(I have a humm

.....PLEASE HELP!! I have a humming sound (almost sounds like big tires, but I don't have any? lol) comming from the FRONT of my 99 Jeep Cherokee sport (4.0 6 cyl) 4X4, put in all new breaks hoping that was it cause the rotors were really bad (new Rotors, pads, callipers new vac. booster and master Cylinder), still has the noise, I checked for play in the carrier/hub bearings (by jacking up grabbing wheel and checking for "in and out" play, and even pulled wheels a rotors off spun hub bearing ***. checked for noise, everything wwas fine, no play no noise?? ) the 4X4 works fine , the noise doeasn't change if im in 2 wheel drive or 4X4......What the heck is is?? I almost out of money and can't just keep replacing parts untill I can be sure what is wrong.... How can I tell if its a beaing in the differential or the ring & pinion or something in the front diff.?? The transfer case seems fine, the noise def. comes from the front of the Jeep PLEASE someone HELP!!!

Phil
Old 06-13-2009, 11:23 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by vintagephilg
.....PLEASE HELP!! I have a humming sound (almost sounds like big tires, but I don't have any? lol) comming from the FRONT of my 99 Jeep Cherokee sport (4.0 6 cyl) 4X4, put in all new breaks hoping that was it cause the rotors were really bad (new Rotors, pads, callipers new vac. booster and master Cylinder), still has the noise, I checked for play in the carrier/hub bearings (by jacking up grabbing wheel and checking for "in and out" play, and even pulled wheels a rotors off spun hub bearing ***. checked for noise, everything wwas fine, no play no noise?? ) the 4X4 works fine , the noise doeasn't change if im in 2 wheel drive or 4X4......What the heck is is?? I almost out of money and can't just keep replacing parts untill I can be sure what is wrong.... How can I tell if its a beaing in the differential or the ring & pinion or something in the front diff.?? The transfer case seems fine, the noise def. comes from the front of the Jeep PLEASE someone HELP!!!

Phil
I could possibly be the pinion bearing. Try shaking the yolk up and down and back and forth to see if there is any play also check the fluid in the front rear...Tj
Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

isn't this pretty much the same thread as the other one you already started? did you do what was already mentioned in that thread and just crack open your diff to inspect it? could also be something like your tires being out of balance, could have lost a wheel weight at some point. might be worth just looking into to cross it off the list
Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM

Has this problem been resolved?