Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help fix my XJ!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Please help fix my XJ!

So I haven't drove this damn thing since February and it's literally driving me insane. I'd like to get your personal opinion before I take it to any shop to get it fixed because I've tried fixing everything myself and have given up.

Back Story
So, I was driving my Jeep in February when it over heated pretty bad not even gonna lie and I wasn't to far from home so I let it cool down and continued driving. Once I got home I saw a lot of smoke so I knew it was a head gasket. Pulled the head and got it checked for cracks and it had three hairline cracks in the head. Got a new head and head gasket and put it all back together just to hear what you hear in the video. Now, I was told it was my lifters and just to drive it of course I couldn't do that so I got new lifters and push rods and put it all back together ONCE AGAIN just to still hear the noise (Shown in the video) so I'm **** out of luck. I'm seriously so upset I haven't been able to drive this thing so I need YOUR opinion I'm assuming it's piston slap so please let me know.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by FilthyXJ
So I haven't drove this damn thing since February and it's literally driving me insane. I'd like to get your personal opinion before I take it to any shop to get it fixed because I've tried fixing everything myself and have given up.

Back Story
So, I was driving my Jeep in February when it over heated pretty bad not even gonna lie and I wasn't to far from home so I let it cool down and continued driving. Once I got home I saw a lot of smoke so I knew it was a head gasket. Pulled the head and got it checked for cracks and it had three hairline cracks in the head. Got a new head and head gasket and put it all back together just to hear what you hear in the video. Now, I was told it was my lifters and just to drive it of course I couldn't do that so I got new lifters and push rods and put it all back together ONCE AGAIN just to still hear the noise (Shown in the video) so I'm **** out of luck. I'm seriously so upset I haven't been able to drive this thing so I need YOUR opinion I'm assuming it's piston slap so please let me know.

piston slap would have been there in jan huh ?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
piston slap would have been there in jan huh ?
No there was no noises like this before I did the head swap or anything like that. It WAS there when it over heated though.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97 SE
Engine: 4.0L

Does it get louder and louder with RPM? Like does it sound louder under 2k rpm than it does 1.2k RPM? Sounds like piston skirt rattling to me, doesn't sound like piston slap as that's more of a hollow sound and mostly when it starts up only, piston slap sort of comes out of factory because of the different metals between the piston and block. Takes time for piston to expand with heat.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by FilthyXJ
No there was no noises like this before I did the head swap or anything like that. It WAS there when it over heated though.
i dont think it starts in a short time
Old 06-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Take another video under the hood to try and localize the ticking or better yet get an automotive stethoscope. You can pick one up cheap at HF.

From the video it does sound lifter related or possibly an exhaust manifold leak.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaydubz
Does it get louder and louder with RPM? Like does it sound louder under 2k rpm than it does 1.2k RPM? Sounds like piston skirt rattling to me, doesn't sound like piston slap as that's more of a hollow sound and mostly when it starts up only, piston slap sort of comes out of factory because of the different metals between the piston and block. Takes time for piston to expand with heat.
That's my guess. I know it something in the bottom end for sure. It's definitely not lifters or exhaust related. But yes it gets louder through the RPM. But it's loudest peak is at the video I edited in at 1.2K
Old 06-23-2017, 10:52 PM

Year: 1991

I'd check my rocker bridges