Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Please help

Today I changed my power steering pump in my cherokee due to the old one leaking, and while it was in park in my drive way, running it pulled to one side. All by it self, it steered all by it self. I never seen this happen. Also there is a noise now coming from the pump. Why is this happening?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Air bubble in the system? I'm not too familiar with the systems on Cherokee's, but I know on semis if you have air in the system it will do strange things
Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Have the front of the truck jacked up and then purge the system. I run into this all the time at work.. Pontiacs are especially bad about this.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 PM

What does purge the system mean? Does it have to do with the power steering pump? I drove the truck yesterday without power steering and didn't have these problems.

It pulls so hard to the left the pulley sounds like it's ganna skip
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Beecee1912
What does purge the system mean? Does it have to do with the power steering pump? I drove the truck yesterday without power steering and didn't have these problems. It pulls so hard to the left the pulley sounds like it's ganna skip
that almost sounds like you have worn front end parts ..
Old 04-08-2015, 06:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Beecee1912
What does purge the system mean? Does it have to do with the power steering pump? I drove the truck yesterday without power steering and didn't have these problems.

It pulls so hard to the left the pulley sounds like it's ganna skip

Set the parking brake. Chock the rear tires. Raise both front tires clear of the ground. Use good jack stands.

Start the engine. Idle.

Turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop (gently), at least ten times.

Look in the reservoir, see if there are bubbles. If so, let them clear up. Check fluid level.

Repeat process if needed.

Tip: I use Valvoline Max Life Power Steering Fluid. It has anti-foaming properties - that work. If you can't get the foaming out your reservoir, suck the old fluid out and add back this Valvoline fluid.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
Set the parking brake. Chock the rear tires. Raise both front tires clear of the ground. Use good jack stands. Start the engine. Idle. Turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop (gently), at least ten times. Look in the reservoir, see if there are bubbles. If so, let them clear up. Check fluid level. Repeat process if needed. Tip: I use Valvoline Max Life Power Steering Fluid. It has anti-foaming properties - that work. If you can't get the foaming out your reservoir, suck the old fluid out and add back this Valvoline fluid.
that is correct. Beat me to it. Lol