Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pissed @ my jeep.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Pissed @ my jeep.

I have a 88 Cherokee with a straight 6 in it. It had an alarm it that malfunctioned and screwd some stuff up. I had to put a new ignition switch in it to get it to start. Now it runs and drives fine. I have changed the TPS sensor and other little odd and end things. Here is my problemo. When I drive the jeep normal it runs great. Once I hit 65 MPH or so it starts to hesitate like a lack of fuel or fire. Also if I Open the throttle all the way it does the same exact thing!!! As long as I dont floor it or go over 65 it is ok. Please help. I love my jeep but it is making it rather difficult to trust it off road.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds like fuel pump is going to me. Put a test pressure gauge on the test port on the fuel rail. With key on and pump primed you should have 30 PSI. Anything less and it is bad. If you think it's the fire side of the house. Remove your coil/ignition module and take to your local autozone and have it tested for free.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Well actually at first we thought that is what it was. So we changed the fuel pump, so its brand new. When ever we took the alarm out it started doing this.. We had mechanics look at this and they were stumped. The alarm was making it to where it just wouldnt start at all. We replaced alot of parts to find out that it was a wire issue or alarm. We took the car to a mechanic to have the alarm removed. He was the one that got the car running by just removing th alarm. When I got it back is when it just had this stupid hesitation that he cant figure out. Im assuming that what ever the alarm was hooked to got messed up. The question I guess is what is it?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 AM

ttt
Old 02-09-2009, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

If the alarm was hooked to something to make the Jeep not start. I would say that would have to be the coil or ignition module. Did you ever get those parts tested and verified good??
Old 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by allstockracer
I have a 88 Cherokee with a straight 6 in it. It had an alarm it that malfunctioned and screwd some stuff up. I had to put a new ignition switch in it to get it to start. Now it runs and drives fine. I have changed the TPS sensor and other little odd and end things. Here is my problemo. When I drive the jeep normal it runs great. Once I hit 65 MPH or so it starts to hesitate like a lack of fuel or fire. Also if I Open the throttle all the way it does the same exact thing!!! As long as I dont floor it or go over 65 it is ok. Please help. I love my jeep but it is making it rather difficult to trust it off road.
To me it sounds like an air issue. Not enough air in or to much back pressure. Check your air filter and catalytic converter.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Replaced pump....
Did you replace fuel filter?

I assume this was not a "factory" alarm system.

Have you removed ALL of the offending system, wires included?