Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

performance tranny pan ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default performance tranny pan ?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a high capacity aluminum tranny pan for a AW4 in my 01 cherokee ? Been looking around and no luck so far.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

I'm going to assume that, by "performance pan," you mean a sump that either has more fluid capacity, has greater cooling, or both? "Performance" is a pretty open adjective... With that in mind:

A "maybe" source would be an outfit like Level Ten (www.levelten.com, I believe,) see what they offer for the 30-40LE series. Yah, it will probably be listed for Toyota - the AW4/30-40LE is a Toyota box (found in Celica, Supra, Pickup, RWD Van, and some RWD Lexus.)

Also, pillage around on Toyota performance sites, and see if you can find anything there.

However, most people who have been serious about expanding the fluid capacity of the box (and thereby expanding the cooling capacity of the thing,) have ended up getting a boneyard pan, cutting the screw flange off, and cutting the bottom out of the other. Then, welding them together to not-quite double the fluid capacity of the sump. Cooling can be increased afterwards by drilling holes in the pan longwise to fit steel tubing, then welding the tubing in place (you'll lose some of the potential added capacity in doing so, but you'll have more contact between cooling airflow and the fluid. Not recommended if you spend a lot of time in the mud - you'll end up having to blow out the airflow tubes, and you may get a slight increase in transmission temperatures!)

However, it would help most to know just what you're trying to do, and why you're trying to do it. "Performance" parts are a great way to waste money if you don't have a plan, and a good way to effectively spend money if you do.