Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Park/dash lights only come on when I push brake in

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Default Park/dash lights only come on when I push brake in

I'm having an issue with my parking lights. My HID lights wouldn't turn on today and after examining everything I found that the inline fuse was blown and after trying to put another fuse in it blew immediately. And right when it blew my parking lights turned off, now they only work when I push my brake in, including my dashboard cluster lights. Not too mention all the interior lights stay on even when the car is off without the key in it. So somewhere in the hid wiring, which was all pretty much brand new, is either shorting somewhere or just burnt. So I ended up ripping all that out and put my factory lights back in and they work fine but im still having an issue with my parking lights. Has this happened to any of you?

My thinking is a bad ground somewhere, bad light switch, blown fuse(I checked pretty much all the fuses I needed to)

Oh and after disconnecting the battery ground to the chassis and reconnecting it my jeep would turn over but wouldn't start. So I unplugged my terminals for a while, went back and it started ****ty the first tie but after that it started right up every time.

Could it be a bad ground connection to the chassis?

Before my HID's wouldn't turn on, whenever I hit the brakes my Odometer would just disappear and my speakers would produce static, but only when I hit my brakes.

Another thought is it could be my hitch trailer wiring becoming exposed, plus we have a lot of snow here.

I would really appreciate some more input, im gonna look more into it this weekend.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

You will need to do some work. Fuses that keep blowing, have a reason why they do so....
Start with refreshing all the grounds that you have in the engine bay
Battery good? If in doubt, have it load tested. Clean and tighten the battery terminals and whatever you have connecting to them.
Check ALL the fuses and especially check the wiring ofthe circuit that keeps blowing the fuse...