Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Paint Corrective Detail

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Paint Corrective Detail

So I cleaned 1 panel at a time and did a 4 stage paint restoration starting with cutting and finishing with a final polish... Not too bad. Also took a heat gun to the plastics. Only did half the jeep so far lol so first picture is the unfinished side, second picture is well... a mirror. (dont mind the dented rusting hood).

What do you guys think? Not bad for a 19 year old vehicle.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

The paint looks good.

I tried the heat gun thing and could never get it to not look blotchy. Then I used Krylon fusion satin black on the plastics, and would never do it any other way. Just clean the part and shoot a few coats on. I have very little paint experience and it came out perfectly. I just removed the rub strips down the side. I think it's a cleaner look without them and I'm not overly concerned about parking lot dings.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Tbone289
The paint looks good.

I tried the heat gun thing and could never get it to not look blotchy. Then I used Krylon fusion satin black on the plastics, and would never do it any other way. Just clean the part and shoot a few coats on. I have very little paint experience and it came out perfectly. I just removed the rub strips down the side. I think it's a cleaner look without them and I'm not overly concerned about parking lot dings.
Thank you. I plan on painting them still. I didnt use a heat gun, I used a propane torch. Much more effective. I'll be leaving the rub strips on (and will be painted as well) simply because its being sold and i'll allow the future owner to make that decision. I just really love a good mirror finish after a full paint correction and honestly I'm pretty proud of my back-yard amazon DA buffer job.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Makes sense. Yeah, I'd have left them on if I were going to sell as well.

Selling? Didn't you just do a swap for this XJ? Man, you change XJs like I change socks! lol
Old 04-23-2018, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Tbone289
Makes sense. Yeah, I'd have left them on if I were going to sell as well.

Selling? Didn't you just do a swap for this XJ? Man, you change XJs like I change socks! lol
Haven't found another one worth keeping... until now i think.

Yeah I stumbled upon another one for a great price with long arms and hd steering and a bunch of bonuses (ill probably do a build thread as i change the rough country junk out of it lol)...so i bought it. the deal was so good that ill be able to easy recoup the money spent on purchasing it with the sale of this green one.

Here's my Jeep Train so far....

2001 XJ Classic (My Roxxy (build thread below)). bought 1/2013 104k mi sold 12/2017. 120k mi

99 XJ Sport 202k mi - bought as a quick flip from one of my customers at a local bar. (both seen in picture below)

2001 XJ Sport beater 120k miles - dents everywhere. 4.5" RC short arm bald tires - bad no prep $500 maaco paint job - cheap beater

Traded for The Green Guy;
2000 XJ Sport 225k miles now for sale because

New daily/weekend warrior
2000xj sport 6.5" RC long arm lift with a bunch of goodies.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Cool!
Old 04-23-2018, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I like my Stone White XJ.... whenever I get a chip or something that I don't like.... I just carefully hit it with a spray can of Stone White that I picked up a while back. and boom... looks good again. I don't care if it's not perfect, it's a Jeep, it's supposed to have a few battle scars on it.
but tell me though.. what other vehicle could you apply things like this to and NOT have it look like total crap?.... probably not very many. lol.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
I like my Stone White XJ.... whenever I get a chip or something that I don't like.... I just carefully hit it with a spray can of Stone White that I picked up a while back. and boom... looks good again. I don't care if it's not perfect, it's a Jeep, it's supposed to have a few battle scars on it.
but tell me though.. what other vehicle could you apply things like this to and NOT have it look like total crap?.... probably not very many. lol.
Oh i definitely agree! but a little bit of polish and a cutting pad can make a WORLD of difference. especially when selling a used vehicle.