Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

P0700 & P0740 - Cannot pass emissions Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default P0700 & P0740 - Cannot pass emissions Test

1998 XJ limited - all stock xcept for 4inch lift and 32in tires
Disclaimer: i started thread on another forum (Not here) and i got good help, but i am getting desperate and trying to open this up
My Story:
Before these two Codes, i was getting following Error Codes:
P0201 - cylinder 1 injector
P0301 - cylinder 3 injector
P0700 - transmission control System
P0705 - transmission range sensor TRS circuit
P1694 - No CCD Messages Received From PCM Bus

i have done following;
Sensors and PCM replaced already
-PCM - bought used re-flashed one (sent in VIN#) on ebay - XJ started right up after replace. seemed to work well for couple days
-O2 - Both front and rear sensors replaced (NGK)
-CPS - replaced, seemed to help for a couple days
-Idle Control Valve - seemed to help
-MAP - no noticeable difference
-Ignition Coil - seemed to help for couple days (thought at first this was the culprit but symptom reappeared)
-Spark plugs/ Cap / Rotor - tune up (wires are less then couple years old

After these i was mostly getting "P1694 - No CCD Messages Received From PCM Bus"

I then purchase TCM off ebay (cannot find new one)
- TCM - from ebay
- TPS - MOPAR (someone suggested i use MOPAR parts) and this is directly influencing that part of the circuit
- Visual inspection of all wiring/cable harness

Now, with the replaced TCM i am consistently getting P0700 & P0740 - (if i put the old one, i get the P1694 erra)
What i have done after;
In searching this (and other forums) i ran accross schematics and what nots, so i have done resistance and voltage readings on;
- Solenoids - Checked at the TCM on pin 10,11,12 to 24, getting 14ohms on each
- checked resistance of the TCM at buss, speed sensor, brake lamp swith,
- checked voltages when moving the gear selector (btw, found the writup on this forum about this, will link it late)
- check voltage of TPS on the TCM cable harness

This all said, my CEL is NOT ON anymore, (i am puzzled), however when i go check the Codes with my ODBII reader, it has those two. If i clear them, they just reappear. Sometimes while driving, other times not until i turn off/on the car.

Lastly, after changing all the sensors, etc, engine / transmission perform really really well. it runs better than b4. i just cant see to rid her of those two codes. cannot pass emisions

Last edited by OdyXJ98; 09-30-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add vehicle information
Old 09-30-2018, 11:32 AM

if "The p-0740, and p-0700 are showing transmission issues,700 is a more than 200 rpm difference between the torque converter and the input shaft, and 740 is a detected fault in the transmission control module."

should i be looking at the VSS and ??? - (need to search on what other sensors are giving feedback - dont want to lose train of thought here)

ok, so can someone tell me this..
I want to test if the TCC is engaging, i seen some describe as this.
"...turns about 2000 rmp at 60 mph in OD with TC loced up. In 3rd, also with TC locked up, it turning about 2600 rpm..... just watch the rmp guage and 'feel' the shifts when accelerating. you should get three shifts and a lockup to be in OD. if you only get 2 you are not making it to OD" - so if i not getting into OD, TC is not locking (engaging) correct?
-and-
"While driving in OD at 50+ mph holding your right foot steady on the gas pedal, depress the brake pedal with your left foot. the rpm should rise 200-300 rpm" - ok, TC is disengaging, correct?

now last question: i have cleared the codes but as soon as i turn car off/on, the codes reappear. i have not gotten up to speed let alone have oppertunity for the TC to lockup/unlock? so what would this point to?
thx in advance on any help...
Old 09-30-2018, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Is this referring to a Jeep Cherokee or some type of funky heavily modded Kenworth cabover on 24s?
If it is a Jeep Cherokee what year?
Before you take out another loan for parts I would suggest you check the main engine wiring harness especially where it passes over the rear of the engine for issues/chafing, as well as thoroughly refreshing all grounds.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:25 PM

1998 Jeep cherokee limited - all stock cept for 4inch lift and 32" tires

in regards to wiring harness, i did look them over, and also did the resistance and voltage checks as outlined
by @@CCKen here on Post@25 which is very thourough [[url]https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/1997-aw4-solenoid-questions-211937/index2/]
basically from TCM harness through all cable connections/harness to the modules (e.g. solenoids, speed sensors, etc)

Did DMM ground test on all grounding posts (i believe outlined by ken as well, or i found the info elsewhere)

have alot of engine oil under carriage, going to get a cleaner, clean that out and maybe start looking into opening her up.
dont know where else to go from here...

Last edited by OdyXJ98; 09-30-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: update my response
Old 09-30-2018, 01:28 PM

One more question B4 i go crawl under and start cleaning...

i seen solenoid "kits" on amazon and ebay, has anyone have any input on either of them? yay/nay
Old 10-01-2018, 10:23 PM

so took the xj out on the highway, tested the TTC engage/disengage, did the two test above at around 60mph and did see the TCC engage, and when tapping brake also see (via RPM jump) that the TCC disengaged...
TCC solenoid is working and working.
just for kicks, changed the transmission oil, added DEX/MERC
drove for another 1/2 hour or so, and checked code off/on, reset,etc...
CEL light is still OFF, but the P0740 Code is still there

exhausted/frustrated - ordered anther TCM module from ebay as everything seems to be pointing to faulty one.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Update: finally! (for anyone that happens here)
So after all pain / suffering, finally got the issue resolved. My issue was faulty (2) TCM module. Again, my trans was shifting good, i had no mechanical issues. Solenoid resistance, operation (engage/disengage), etc.. all were good.
Put the 2nd purchased TCM (from ebay) and code no longer is there. took to SMOG station and got my lic sticker!

if you ARE having mechanical issues, the link to @CCKen post is relevent. (see post #25) and the entire thread has valuable info...
good luck!

Last edited by OdyXJ98; 10-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.