Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

P/S Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default P/S Leak

Hi guys, I recently refreshed the 3 inch lift kit on my 2000 Cherokee with all new coils, shocks, leafs, and accessories. Last summer, I replaced the steering box, steering box spacer, and power steering pump and reservior. I drove it around for a year with no issues, but coincidentally right after I got the lift kit installed, I have sprung a leak. The leak does not appear to be coming from the box itself, as it seems dry when I look at it, but it only leaks from the driver side front bumper corner. The leak is very intermittent, and I have noticed that when it does leak, it sounds like the p/s has not been bleed, and is getting air in the system. Could it be possible that I have a leak or possibly a bad hose? I just find it hard to believe that it would function properly for a year, then all of a sudden start leaking again. It may be worth mentioning that when I replaced the track bar I had a torch up in there. When I get home I can take a picture of the exact location it is leaking from. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 302 Likes on 251 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

When I bought my jeep one of the ps lines was leaking and then when I replaced that I broke the nipple off the reservoir so then I replaced that and went through three o-rings to finally get it to stop leaking from where the reservoir meets the ps pump. I'm not sure where yours is leaking so idk if this is helpful to you.