Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating!

Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheating!

I have a 95 xj. 4.0l. Everything was good then my a/c blower stopped working, so i pulled it out and jumped it directly from the battery and it wouldn't work so i left it out. However i broke the clutch fan shroud, but everything seemed fine. The next day we drive to an appointment and the car is overheating. The temp guage his just below the red after just a few minutes but doesn't seem to actually get into the red. I checked my electric fan and it activated with the a/c turned on (with blower fan removed) and also activated when motor started getting hot. (With a/c on of position) Then i changed my thermostat woowith a new 190 degree model (cheap and easy) no improvementsCould it be related to the blower, or is it obviously just the clutch fan shroud? There's no leaks and the coolant/oil is clean still.. (that was all the last two days) Then i went to the junk yard today and got a replacement shroud, and a new a/c blower. I drove it for about ten minutes then let it set idle for another ten minutes in my driveway and the guage was steady in between the halfway and the three quarter mark with minor fluctuating. (about 190-200 degrees) We'll see how it goes driving in traffic now. I'm really just posting this to emphasize the importance of the clutch fan shroud because i couldn't find any posts anywhere on the internet that was centered around that Damn shroud. It was only brought to my attention through people quickly mentioning it in a couple of videos. Hopefully this helps and I'll let y'all know in a few days how my xj is doing.......

Last edited by Chris Lippold; 09-07-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 248 Likes on 203 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 98 stroked 4.7

the shroud is important.it directs where the fan pulls from otherwise it pulls from behind the radiator and not thru the radiator also get a new elect fan they're 60 bucks on eBay get the 10 blade one not the 4 blade they work better. also get a new fan relay from dealer...20 bucks
Old 09-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

95 was the year they switched from the 4fin to the 10 fin electric fan. So i have the good one. However, i am thinking about doing the clutch fan upgrade to the bigger one that comes from the grand Cherokee. But for now I'm just trying to get everything to work right. Hopefully it's good. I'll let y'all know