Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

overhead console questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I have a 98 four door xj. I want to add the overhead console but I have a few questions. My xj has keyless entry and ondemand5 said the rke module is above the headliner. Does that mean the needed wiring is already there? And I found a console from a zj. Will it work in my xj or are they different? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I believe the wiring is already up there. Not sure if the zj & xj are interchangeable.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

To add an OHC, you need the console, the brackets, and the wiring harness. As I understand it, the computers for the ZJ are different, so you won't get all the functionality. Any '97+ OHC (and brackets) will fit, but only the '98 wiring harness is plug & play for you. The harness can be easily modified though. Depending on the color of your interior, there are some color (mis) match options between the years. There are also like 100 threads on putting an OHC in your jeep. Most of them are probably referenced at the bottom of this page now. That is a good place to start.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok thanks. The console I found has no harness with it so I was hoping mine would already be there. Guess I just have to tear into it and see. Haha
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

No...the harness you have up there is NOT for an OHC. You will not have the proper connectors on it. Don't "tear into" anything till you have the parts (unless you don't care).
Old 12-27-2010, 03:41 PM
e30
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98fourdoor
Ok thanks. The console I found has no harness with it so I was hoping mine would already be there. Guess I just have to tear into it and see. Haha

hey man...okay so everything you need is already in the jeep keyless, obc, light, ect it is on the pass side...look on the floor under your glove box to the right you will see a fuse panel all the plugs are tucked in there what you need is the harness that plugs into them and into the ohc....it goes up the A pillar to the ohc you can unplug the ohc and the jeep plugs from this harness so basically its just a long loom of wires....please try to find the harness for the closest year to your jeep because they changed the wiring 3 or 4 times 99-01 are 2 plug set up i believe 97-98 are 3...but you can re pin plugs if you get one that doesnt fit also for you temp sensor it is prewired behind your grill...all direct plug in stuff man its pretty easy and very worth it
Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Well I got the time to study more today and found the zj console would give me nothing lol does anyone know where I might find a console and harness for my 98 xj?