Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this the original Immob / Remote key fob or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is this the original Immob / Remote key fob or aftermarket

Hi there,

just got my 97 Cherokee yesterday.

I have two key fobs which control remote central locking of all of the doors and also before I can start the car, I have to turn the key to the position one click before it would start the engine up, I then have to click the button on my remote which turns the immobiliser off and then I can start the car.

This works fine on one of the key fobs. The guy I got the car off said he hadn't had the second fob 'programmed'.

Does anyone know if pic attached is an original key fob?
If not does anyone know what the make is of it?
And lastly is it possible to teach one remote from another i.e. I have one working remote so it would be good to get the second working.

Thanks
Chris -UK
Attached Thumbnails Is this the original Immob / Remote key fob or aftermarket-img-20111110-00065.jpg  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Chris,

That doesn't look like the remote my '98 has. I believe the original remote would have looked like this:

I don't believe there is any way to program one remote from the other. I was able to take my remote to a locksmith and they programmed it for like $25. Much cheaper than what the dealer wanted.

If you have an immobilizer, those didn't come stock with the Jeep, at least not in the USA. So it would be an additional security system install. Who knows how a particular aftermarket remote may work?

Good luck!

Greg
Old 11-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi Greg,

I've dug the manual out of the glove box. It does mention the immobilizer on it and it 'feels' like its part of a standard install, I dont know how to really quantify that other than to say it seems rock solid i.e. locks / unlocks perfectly and immobilizer has consistantly turned off etc when I want it to. So maybe the original owner just lost the original fobs hopefully

I'll ask around a few auto electricians, I have a feeling that locksmiths in this country probably dont do this sort of thing but could be wrong..

Thanks for the reply

Chris
Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

Most locksmith do this kind of work unless they are just a sunday locksmith working for cash.And like stated above they are cheaper than the dealer, and hint hint either one should be able to answer your ?. cause there are a bunch of differant fobs, the 1998 one pictured looks nothing like the ones for my 2000 or 2001 xj. The 1998 one's look like the one's for our Chrysler LHS.(minus a few buttons)