Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

orientation of LCA when reinstalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default orientation of LCA when reinstalling

Does it matter which way I put the oem arm back in? By this I mean does the widest part of the bushing need to face to the inside, or the outside, or does it not really matter?

I ask because I am having issues putting my driver's side LCA axle bolt back in the same way I got it out. The bolt (a new oem bolt) is so long it's hitting the case of the front diff and won't go back in. This setup puts the nut to the outside of the vehicle. Just getting that bolt out to remove the arm was a big fight because of the diff.

I wouldn't have any issues if I could just put the arm in the other way, and flip the nuts to the inside of the vehicle.

This person with a TJ seemed to do it without any issue so I think I am ok. I don't really know for sure though so I figured I could ask here for a second opinion.

My poly bushes have these thrust washers and those are supposed to be on the side of the arm with the nut. So I have to flip the whole arm around instead of just flipping the fasteners around and leaving the arm as it currently sits.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

As long as the bushings are the same at both ends it doesn't matter. ZJ lower arms have a different bushing at the axle end to help control vibration.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

It really does not matter. The bolts should not be a big deal. The nuts are on the inside. You'll need to a semi-deep socket, or a shortened deep socket to get the nut by the differential off. It's 21mm. Since I already had a socket that would work I put them back on the same way, but I don't see why you couldn't put the nuts on the outside. Most important thing is to not tighten those bolts until the vehicle is off any floor jacks and jack stands, weight must be on the tires.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I managed to get it all back together. When i ordered new bolts the dealership gave me M14x2.0x120mm which are leaf spring bolts. That long bolt just wouldn't work going in from the inside. I just put the original bolt back in for now so I can take the other side apart. It's chewed up though so it will have to be replaced with the 110mm long one.