Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Opinions Needed! My 56$ Sealed System Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Opinions Needed! My 56$ Sealed System Cold Air Intake

Hi All,

I need to know what you think of the following modification. Today I put on a 63mm throttle body which is no big deal. The truck kicks now for sure..I would say at least 10 more HP overall with what I did... Anyway, I need opinions on this cold air Home Depot Special intake using a 6" Singe Outlet Catch Basin for Gutters ($7.98), a 4" PVC Large 45 degree Fitting ($9.88), a 3" Spectre high flow air filer from Pep Boys($24.99), a PVC Screw in adapter 3" by 2"-screw side fitting ($4.95), Pep boys intake tube kit with Drill for Valve Cover breather hose ($7.99). Total =

This took me 15 minutes to install. They key to this is that the filter fits DIRECTLY into the catch basin and is enclosed though slightly loose.. I figure this will protect the filter and cooler air will hit the intake since the only way air can come in is from the 4" PVC Corner attached to the catch basin near the headlight.

In one picture you will see many parts. The one that shows the filter.. I used only what is described above. All the others I returned!

What I want to know is if you guys feel that enclosing the filter inside teh catch basin will actually inhibit air flow. The truck KICKS on the highway.. Like air is getting forced in.. The takeoff is unreal now.. 63mm throttle body was 89 bucks.

What do you think??

Here is the screw fitting 2" screw with 3" Opening. Worked great. You have to put in the grommet in a thick part of this fitting for the valve breather by shaving it down and jamming it in. Works well!

Here is the home depot part that made this possible:

Here are all the parts I bought BUT I only used what is listed above!!

Here is the complete Setup. Everything is fitted with NO SCREWS or glue or anything. I used a wire to hold down as shown and thats it! TIGHT and far away from the heat of the motor. Its enclosed with a LARGE open pipe at the bottom for air flow.

Please let me know what you think!!

Last edited by buysellny; 11-23-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

looks good, but water and junk can still get in there....
Old 11-23-2010, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the filter being nin the tube is defeating nthe purpose dont you think
Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

type in air filter in the search box its on page two different ways to do what you trying to do still saves money
Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by wildspear
looks good, but water and junk can still get in there....
In comparison to other systems for as much as 200.00 water can get DIRECTLY on the filter since its wide open or has some idiodic design that allows hood dirt to fall directly on the filter since its wide open and closed off somewhat by the hood... This is closed and water would have to travel up about 10" and through a 3" opening inside the catch basin. In otehr words I would have to drive in a flood to get it wet.. This means much less water dirt and heat right?

Last edited by buysellny; 11-23-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
the filter being nin the tube is defeating nthe purpose dont you think
I know! Thats why im asking.. I wonder if you need more air around it.. Keep in mind its a cone so air is flowing all around the inside of the basin is 6" cone goes down to 3"!! So air should be rammed down the front of its open cone and all around it.. Air has no place to go but in teh filter!

This is what Im thinking..
Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
type in air filter in the search box its on page two different ways to do what you trying to do still saves money
I did that a million times.. All those systems do not protect the filter and force air in a wide opening directly donw the filters cone and all around it as this setup does.. On teh highway this car flys now..

I did it this way becasue it took me 15 minutes! All those other setups took people hours to complete and yet the systems still are wide open on top.. The stock jeep system is even enclosed!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000/1996
Engine: 4.0

Why bother really it's still hot air going in it, and it's great you got a 63mm tb but I don't really think you got 10 h.p out of it.If you can prove it I'll beleive you.Don't get mad either you said you wanted opinions.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 PM
CF Veteran

Turn it around and have it suck air in through the cowl. This is just going to suck in water as much as a regular airbox.

I fail to see why your vehicle would "fly" now. proper CAI systems at best gain 5hp
Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Turn it around and have it suck air in through the cowl. This is just going to suck in water as much as a regular airbox.

I fail to see why your vehicle would "fly" now. proper CAI systems at best gain 5hp
Truck is a hell of a lot faster.. head jerking faster.. I'm looking for mpg increased. What's a cowl? Please let me know.. this is so flexible I can pipe it anywhere
Thanks for the input!!

Last edited by buysellny; 11-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by maxwedge
Why bother really it's still hot air going in it, and it's great you got a 63mm tb but I don't really think you got 10 h.p out of it.If you can prove it I'll beleive you.Don't get mad either you said you wanted opinions.
I might cut a vent with drip pan in the hood and pipe that to the intake for a poor man's RAM air lol.. either way the air inside this system should be colder then others since it sucks off only one opening.. its a start.. works great and growls now

I
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by buysellny
Truck is a hell of a lot faster.. head jerking faster.. I'm looking for mpg increased. What's a cowl? Please let me know.. this is so flexible I can pipe it anywhere
Thanks for the input!!
The cowl is the area between the hood and the windshield, essentially. It's the part of the firewall where the air for the vents is taken in, the windshield wiper assemblies are located at, and where the water that runs off the windshield drains through, of course that's routed and sealed away from the vents intake.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Aldakoopa
The cowl is the area between the hood and the windshield, essentially. It's the part of the firewall where the air for the vents is taken in, the windshield wiper assemblies are located at, and where the water that runos off the windshield drains through, of course that's routed and sealed away from the vents intake.
Oh! I'm leaning towards a RAM vent on the hood.. with drip pan
Prob not worth the effort.. its running really good.. snapping off the line with ford zr3e new injectors, 63mm throttle body with thin brass flange, and new exhaust
I'm doing it for mpg's of which is not yet measured on this setup.. was getting 15mpg which sucks
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by buysellny
Oh! I'm leaning towards a RAM vent on the hood.. with drip pan
Prob not worth the effort.. its running really good.. snapping off the line with ford zr3e new injectors, 63mm throttle body with thin brass flange, and new exhaust
I'm doing it for mpg's of which is not yet measured on this setup.. was getting 15mpg which sucks
1. I cant possibly believe its head jerkingly "better" since my XJ had no problem giving me whiplash right from the start, the difference is probably in the Spectre filter you installed as opposed to an overly clogged stock one.

2. Ram air on a Jeep = Ram water. Drip pan or not, hit one good "puddle" at speed and you'll suck up enough water to stall or more probably hydrolock.

3. 15mpg is about average for most XJs anyway from what I've seen. depending on weather conditions ofcourse.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

i bought a "cold air intake" off ebay at the beginning of the summer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...#ht_2660wt_958
Opinions Needed! My 56$ Sealed System Cold Air Intake-100_0908.jpg

Opinions Needed! My 56$ Sealed System Cold Air Intake-100_0909.jpg

i was able to get mine for $45 shipped to my door... don't mean to shoot your ingenuity down but figured you'd prolly like to know.. and the whole head kicken and feeling it on the highway... i know what you mean but its not that dramatic, you can honestly feel a slightly (i mean slightly) harder pull at stops and the down-shift response to really fly on the high-way.. again very slight.....
honestly not 10hp gain..... just spit-balling for a reasonable figure.... maybe 1 horspower gain and like another MPG but thats about it

but its an easy installation and its solid... just not very TRAIL worthy lol i found out hahaahaha its my DD though so it serves its purpose

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed! My 56$ Sealed System Cold Air Intake