Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

One click no start 96 xj

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O. Police Package
Default One click no start 96 xj

I've been reading and working on this all day today its a very intermittent problem so far sometimes the Jeep will start 4 or 5 times in a row and others it won't start for 20 attempts. So far to correct the problem initially my starter and ignition switch were bad replaced both. Jeep started great for a little while then randomly one day it started doing this one click nonsense. And now to correct this problem I've cleaned and checked the power and negative battery cables terminals and all are nice and clean and tight. Tried changing the starter relay cleaned all of the visible grounds and battery is an optima red top battery I'm at my wits end i don't see what would be causing it to start and not start so randomly...
Old 06-07-2017, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Next time it dont start tap starter with hammer see if it startd. Rebuilt dont mean it done correctly.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:30 PM

hi, i was having issues similar ... so i did self diagnostic check, if you google.... diagnostic check for (your vehicle make and model) it will give you directions on what to do.. it is so simple, helped me find out that my oxygen sensor was knackered, replaced it and my jeep has started first pop every time since.
simply
1. insert key
2. turn key to on 5 times in a row quickly... - do not start engine (or try to)
3. count how many times check engine light comes on, it will have a slight pause in between numbers for example ... 3 flashes of check engine light ... pause 2 flashes of check engine light gives diagnostic code of 32 then google the trouble codes

you can also google - ZJ Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) - which will give you the list of what the codes are relating to

let me know how you get on

Last edited by Louleebelle; 06-07-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: adding more information.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jeepman659
I've been reading and working on this all day today its a very intermittent problem so far sometimes the Jeep will start 4 or 5 times in a row and others it won't start for 20 attempts. So far to correct the problem initially my starter and ignition switch were bad replaced both. Jeep started great for a little while then randomly one day it started doing this one click nonsense. And now to correct this problem I've cleaned and checked the power and negative battery cables terminals and all are nice and clean and tight. Tried changing the starter relay cleaned all of the visible grounds and battery is an optima red top battery I'm at my wits end i don't see what would be causing it to start and not start so randomly...

mine did exactly that. i could screwdriver jump it for a while.'
put in "new" reman and it randomly did the same thing.
they gave me a "new" new starter for the same price. i mean new like from factory. about 3 months, not one bad clik, zero.
it feels good to turn the key and it 'zips"
Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Louleebelle
hi, i was having issues similar ... so i did self diagnostic check, if you google.... diagnostic check for (your vehicle make and model) it will give you directions on what to do.. it is so simple, helped me find out that my oxygen sensor was knackered, replaced it and my jeep has started first pop every time since.
simply
1. insert key
2. turn key to on 5 times in a row quickly... - do not start engine (or try to)
3. count how many times check engine light comes on, it will have a slight pause in between numbers for example ... 3 flashes of check engine light ... pause 2 flashes of check engine light gives diagnostic code of 32 then google the trouble codes

you can also google - ZJ Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) - which will give you the list of what the codes are relating to

let me know how you get on
Apparently that's only for the zjs brotha I have an xj I tried it didn't do anything.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Apparently that's only for the zjs brotha I have an xj I tried it didn't do anything.
The 1996 XJ has this feature also but the procedure is slightly different. I believe it was three turns of key.
My 96 had a random no-start, but no clicks or any noise. It was an NSS issue (neutral safety switch) I just had push the shifter further into park when it happened. My WJ does it also.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

never tap the starter with a hammer, if it wasn't bad, it would be after that, the magnets in the starter break pretty easy.
Could be the replacement starter has a bad spot, I starter draw test would help, or return it to the store, have it tested or replaced
Old 06-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
The 1996 XJ has this feature also but the procedure is slightly different. I believe it was three turns of key.
My 96 had a random no-start, but no clicks or any noise. It was an NSS issue (neutral safety switch) I just had push the shifter further into park when it happened. My WJ does it also.
My xjs a standard shift though so I can rule out the nss I don't even have to push the clutch in to start her I'll have to just return the starter or something to see if that's what the actual problem is.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

My xjs a standard shift though so I can rule out the nss I don't even have to push the clutch in to start her I'll have to just return the starter or something to see if that's what the actual problem is.
your NSS is located on the clutch pedal lever above the foot rest, someone disconnected it or it is none functioning, clutch safety switch
Old 06-08-2017, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Willys55
your NSS is located on the clutch pedal lever above the foot rest, someone disconnected it or it is none functioning, clutch safety switch
If youve never had to push clutch in b4 looking for a switch that does not exist will be a waist of time.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Willys55
never tap the starter with a hammer, if it wasn't bad, it would be after that, the magnets in the starter break pretty easy.
Could be the replacement starter has a bad spot, I starter draw test would help, or return it to the store, have it tested or replaced
Really ....

https://www.google.com/search?q=tapp...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-08-2017, 04:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

it could be a bad cable. they may look good, but possibly down somewhere it may be corroded inside the sheath.

i would start by replacing or at least pulling and checking them.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Caged I checked my cables again there was some corrosion on the end were the starter actually connects to and I noticed that the actual terminals on the solenoid seem loose not the nuts but the actual terminals is this normal? When they're tight it doesn't seem to move as much but has me curious as to if that's the source of the whole problem is those terminals moving around?
Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Originally Posted by freegdr
go back and read that google link again. it is not a repair, it never is
Old 06-09-2017, 04:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
Next time it dont start tap starter with hammer see if it startd. Rebuilt dont mean it done correctly.
Never said its a fix its a test. Which if it had been done already Xj might be fixed or at least eliminated the starter as a issue. Instead of a 3 day guessing game could be a 2 hr fix.