Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

That old friend "The heater core"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry That old friend "The heater core"

Ok guys - Any help on this one. I have a 1996 RHD Jeep Cherokee TD Limited - not sure what model this is in the US. I have water from, what I assume is a leaking heater core, pouring out onto the footwell. I have scoured the internet and come to two conclusions. The first is this isn't going to be easy, the second is I may have to take it to a dealer !!!. I have one slight advantage from you guys on the other side of the pond and that is being a RHD i do not have to remove the stearing wheel etc, however, it took me 4 hours today to get the water pipes and AC pipes off and the three nuts that hold the block in from the engine side. I have dismantelled the bottom of the dash but am now stuck as to what comes off next. The whole thing seems to be stuck with no amount of sweet talkin' or cursing working at all.
I have read the step by step instructions on the "Heater core" threads but as these are all LHD I get lost half way through. Any pointers would be much appriaceted.
My poor Jepp has been so good to me thus far, 150,00 miles and still going strong, espically driving form the UK to Italy non stop - except for coffee & gas, obviously.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hate to bear bad news, but I'm a tech at a Jeep dealer and have access to Chrysler's site for service procedures. The instrument panel assembly has to come out to remove the hvac unit and they don't differentiate left or right hand drive. I've done this and it's not fun! See if you can borrow or copy the procedure from a local dealer. Should be in the factory manual as well possibly in the library.