Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ok... what part are they talking about?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default Ok... what part are they talking about?

Well, I finally just got my issue with my Aussie Locker resolved today (I broke it about a month and a half ago) and they have sent me a new one in the mail from the warranty department. They told me that my differential is going to need a new "cross shaft", actually ill just include the email;

Ian,

The consultant feels that the most probable cause of the failure of the locker was due to a cross shaft that is going soft causing the locker to lose symmetry. While this would not be a warranty item because the problem was caused by a product we did not furnish, we have taken far too long in identifying the cause so today we shipped you a replacement locker as a customer service. When you do the re-install please obtain a new cross shaft and make sure that your spacings are all within tolerance and memorialized on the back of the manual in the space provided.

We appreciate your purchase of the Aussie locker and your patience.

Team Aussie

I dont mean to sound ignorant but, my question after all of this is what the hell is a cross shaft, are they referring to the pinion shaft and they are one in the same, or is there some other mystery part that i've never heard of. I havent been able to find any info online about what it is because all the sources are giving me conflicting answers, so for whoever knows, is a cross shaft a pinion shaft or is it something else. And also, can I just buy a new one at a regular auto parts store, or do I have to buy special hardened ones?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cross shaft they are referring to is the pin in the middle of the carrier that you had to remove to get the factory spider gears out in order to install the locker.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

So its what is labeled "pinion shaft" in the picture? Not the little bolt holding it in, because all the pictures i've seen give conflicting answers.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace them both and know that it is good.