Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Oil Problem

So today as I was driving my oil light kicked on. Now I'm pretty good at wrenching on my rig and diagnosing problems. With that being said I'm sure I know what the problem is already, but I wanted a few other opinions.

These are the symptoms:

Oil light kicks on once I touch the gas.
Turns off once I let off of the gas.
Does not turn on during idle.

Pretty sure these are the signs of a bad sending unit, but like I said I wanted to have other opinions. Yes I have only idiot lights and not actual gauge. I am on vacation so I do not have any tools besides the ones in my tool bag in the XJ so I have no pressure testing equipment. I would rather fix it now before driving home over an hour to find out it was the pump that took a dump. I know I have to change the sending unit first anyway to make sure it's not the pump.

Anybody that agrees with this please let me know. If you know of anything else it could be feel free to chime in.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

As you said, replace the sending unit. If the prob still persists, go further. Any knocking? Take off the oil cap while it's running and see if oil is squirting around.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
As you said, replace the sending unit. If the prob still persists, go further. Any knocking? Take off the oil cap while it's running and see if oil is squirting around.
No knocks and I haven't checked the oil squirting from the valve cover with the cap off.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
No knocks and I haven't checked the oil squirting from the valve cover with the cap off.
Unless there is any abonormal ticking or knocking that wasn't there before the light started going off, Im betting it is just the sending unit. Just replace that little bugger (I'd go dealership or NAPA for sensors) and you should be good to go.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Unless there is any abonormal ticking or knocking that wasn't there before the light started going off, Im betting it is just the sending unit. Just replace that little bugger (I'd go dealership or NAPA for sensors) and you should be good to go.
Yeah just what I figured. Sucks because I just replaced it in March but it was an AC Delco which I don't care for much so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem. I'll try NAPA for the part. Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 IL6

I had this problem when NAPA sold me the sending unit for a gauge instead of the idiot light :/...it would get dimmer or brighter depending on how much I hit the gas. The one for the gauge is close to an inch longer than the sending unit for the idiot light.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PanteraRosa
I had this problem when NAPA sold me the sending unit for a gauge instead of the idiot light :/...it would get dimmer or brighter depending on how much I hit the gas. The one for the gauge is close to an inch longer than the sending unit for the idiot light.
Yeah I made sure the one I got was for the lights. Wasn't a problem for me until today.

1991Jeep_Man: Just ran it without the valve cover cap on and it wasn't spitting any oil out of the cover.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

I hope oil isn't flying out of the valve cover lol. I meant does it look like everything is getting plenty of oil up inside?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Have you checked the oil level??
Usually the dummy light comes on when the oil isnt at proper level.. Everytime you hit the skinny pedal the oil shifts to the back of the pan.. and if this just started and shows no signs of ticking or knocking.. and the pump seems to be working properly then i would say low oil.. Especially if the dummy light still works

2 cents
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

I hope oil isn't flying out of the valve cover lol. I meant does it look like everything is getting plenty of oil up inside?
Hahaha yeah it everything is getting oil so I know it's pumping

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
Have you checked the oil level??
Usually the dummy light comes on when the oil isnt at proper level.. Everytime you hit the skinny pedal the oil shifts to the back of the pan.. and if this just started and shows no signs of ticking or knocking.. and the pump seems to be working properly then i would say low oil.. Especially if the dummy light still works

2 cents
Well the level was the first thing I checked and it was just fine. This was step one, but I left that part out because it was an obvious step lol
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Originally Posted by JerseyJeeper
Hahaha yeah it everything is getting oil so I know it's pumping

Well the level was the first thing I checked and it was just fine. This was step one, but I left that part out because it was an obvious step lol
lol ok, have to be sure sometimes..

since i have a gauge and only time i had an issue with a sending unit was when i broke it changing the oil filter.

Is it possible to clean the sending unit, maybe something got jammed in there and isnt allowing the sensor to work properly? Really, im not sure what to tell you, but ill keep an eye on this for future references.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
lol ok, have to be sure sometimes..

since i have a gauge and only time i had an issue with a sending unit was when i broke it changing the oil filter.

Is it possible to clean the sending unit, maybe something got jammed in there and isnt allowing the sensor to work properly? Really, im not sure what to tell you, but ill keep an eye on this for future references.
To be honest I'm not sure if you can clean them out. I got a new sensor today so it'll be going in hopefully later today. I'll report back with the verdict tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Turned out to be the sensor. All is well...for now lol thanks for the affirming my thoughts everyone.