Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit Leak/Air Box Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil Pressure Sending Unit Leak/Air Box Smoke

I bought my 1995 Cherokee SE (2.5, 4 cyl.) thinking it had a head gasket leak. I pressure tested the cooling system and found it to be the radiator and a loose heater hose clamp. I FINALLY GOT IT STARTED TODAY!!! It was super tough to start which I assume is because the engine was covered with silicone when the radiator went. In trying to start it I opened up the air box hose to the carb so I could use starter fluid. The carb is oiley/dirty. Once I got it started it ran really rough. I noticed smoke coming out of the hose that runs from the air box to the carb. The tubes going to the air box are feeding it the smoke which is where the carb oil/dirt is coming from. Then I noticed a bad leak coming out of the oil pressure sending unit (see picture). The shine on the sending unit is oil! Now that I can see my picture up close I'll try to tighten it with a wrench. Is the oil pressure unit leaking common. I'm thinking the smoke in my air box could be too much oil crak case pressure. My question is what could be causing the smoke in the air box? Do you think that's related to my oil sending unit leak? My Cherokee is an SE and only has idiot lights (no actual oil gauge). Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by DearJimmy; 10-07-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:53 PM

I took out the oil sending unit and the brass fitting it attaches to. Does the brass fitting ever get really snug? It seems that where it's tight the sending unit won't screw into it. Also, should the sending unit get really tight in the brass fitting? I didn't want to strip its threads.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 PM

PVC or CCV? I researched and found a thread that said the XJ did not have a PVC valve. (https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...ight=replacing). My repair books refer to one though. I'm getting smoke pushed back into the airbox to be recirculated through the carb. I don't think the CCV is routed through the air box. The PVC and the tube that snakes along the firewall and drivers fender from the charcole canister run to the air box. Is the PVC the plastic 90 degree piece on the back of the valve cover that swivels? How is it removed? So many of them at the junk yard are cracked from people prying on them. The above link said to just use air ot a paper clip to be sure it's cleared. My boofs refer to the PVC that rattles. I'm confused and need to be held!!!