Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil pressure?

I have an 01 xj. About a week ago I was sitting a a red light and my check gauges light came on and I saw that my oil gauge was at zero. The light turned green so I went and the gauge went back up to 40 came to another red light and the gauge dropped back to zero. I changed the oil and cleaned the oil sending unit. Does anyone have any ideas? My dad says it could be a worn main bearing and there's a gap between the bearing and crank shaft.

And go!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the oil pressure with a manual gauge that screws into the port that the sending unit screws into. 13psi is the minimum at idle and the rule of thump is 10psi for every 1000rpm.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Bakerxj
I have an 01 xj. About a week ago I was sitting a a red light and my check gauges light came on and I saw that my oil gauge was at zero. The light turned green so I went and the gauge went back up to 40 came to another red light and the gauge dropped back to zero. I changed the oil and cleaned the oil sending unit. Does anyone have any ideas? My dad says it could be a worn main bearing and there's a gap between the bearing and crank shaft.

And go!
While worn bearings is a possibility, the oil-pressure sending units are notorious for failure and a failed oil pressure sending unit is much more likely. Verify the pressure with a mechanical gage (I think they are around $20 at harbor freight and you can rent/barrow them at many auto-parts stores) and/or replace the oil pressure sending unit (about $40, an OE one from the dealer is highly recommended) before jumping to any (expensive) conclusions.