Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil leak??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil leak??!!!

I'm new here so forgive if this has been covered before. I have a oil leak that leaks on my exhaust under the oil pan. Smokes bad because of this. Here's my issue. I have replaced the oil pan gasket with a new rear main while I was in there, I have replaced the trans pan gasket with new filter. The leak hasn't changed I'm losing my mind! Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998

Take a minute and use the search function, there are TONS of oil leak threads.

i can briefly tell you how I fixed mine. I followed some advice I found on here. Work your way down.

i started first by simply making sure all the valve cover bolts were tight.

I then changed the valve cover gasket. This fixed my problem and was very simple
Old 06-15-2019, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Start at the top and work your way down. Nearly any oil leak on the XJ will run down tot he rear of the engine and look like a rear main or oil pan leak. Valve cover, distributor gasket, oil filter adapter o rings. I've got nearly all my leaks sealed up at this point with exception of a leak out of the oil galley side of the head gasket. It leaks about 2 quarts per 5000 mile oil change. Not enough to make me want to change it yet lol.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

Thanks guys
Old 06-16-2019, 08:42 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

REAR MAIN SEAL DIAGNOSIS

I’d be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn’t own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking. Many mechanics, friends, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don’t jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons:

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area.

Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber’s adage apply here: “Crap flows downhill”.

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first. A little tip here. Rather than use a dizzy gasket, use an o ring instead. NAPA #727-2024. Tips 12 and 13 will help you get your distributor back in place correctly.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

When I had that problem, it was the transmission seal. It leaks past the seal and then drops out of the bellhousing drain hole right onto the exhaust. Check your transmission fluid level. In y experience, it was ok when cold, but when you started driving and the trans fluid heated up, it would hit the seal and leak like a sieve.