Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM Keys

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default OEM Keys

I am kind of embarrassed to say this but, I am really **** about my car keys. There, I said it. I feel much better, now. No, I am not joking. I am **** about having factory keys for my vehicles. Not sure why I am like that.

My XJ has the propper door key but my ignition key...well, the whole switch, really, has been replaced with an aftermarket GM set. I have found out that the GM keys look basically the same but they do not interchange with AMC/Jeep.

So, Here's my question. I know that I can order OEM keys without a problem but, before I spend any money, can anyone tell me if the XJ series was ever made so that you only needed one key to open the door and start the engine?

Right now I have to use two keys and it's driving me nuts. Over the years I have gotten used to only needing one key.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

newer cherokees used 1 and i think its the same story via older jeeps as well and i wouldnt blame you one time my ocd went crazy when i had to change the oil on a honda and the guy custom made a ford key to fit in his ignition lol
Old 01-24-2018, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by werewolf19
I am kind of embarrassed to say this but, I am really **** about my car keys. There, I said it. I feel much better, now. No, I am not joking. I am **** about having factory keys for my vehicles. Not sure why I am like that.

My XJ has the propper door key but my ignition key...well, the whole switch, really, has been replaced with an aftermarket GM set. I have found out that the GM keys look basically the same but they do not interchange with AMC/Jeep.

So, Here's my question. I know that I can order OEM keys without a problem but, before I spend any money, can anyone tell me if the XJ series was ever made so that you only needed one key to open the door and start the engine?

Right now I have to use two keys and it's driving me nuts. Over the years I have gotten used to only needing one key.
Yes my 97 has one key that works both as it should be. A GM key blank is the exact same as the Chrysler on these, so a good locksmith can make the tumblers in the GM ignition lockset fit the same key you are using for the door.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Yes my 97 has one key that works both as it should be. A GM key blank is the exact same as the Chrysler on these, so a good locksmith can make the tumblers in the GM ignition lockset fit the same key you are using for the door.
That's nice to hear, however, mine is a '89. Looks like I can't do what I want. Bummer.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

That's nice to hear, however, mine is a '89. Looks like I can't do what I want. Bummer.
The key blanks must be different then? I take it the blank is one sided instead of double sided?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM

Year: 1987

1987 2 Keys on mine
Old 01-24-2018, 01:52 PM

The key blanks must be different then? I take it the blank is one sided instead of double sided?
Correct.

The funny thing is, even though they are based on GM, the keys are different. There is one extra groove on the AMC/Jeep key. A very small groove right along the edge. Because of this AMC/Jeep keys do not completely interchange with GM.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Last edited by werewolf19; 01-24-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Correct.
Then I stand corrected... Wonder if one could go pull all the matching ignition and door locksets out of a newer model in a junkyard and have a key cut to fit these? I wouldn't know what year they went to double sided but my 97 has these like I mentioned.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

Can you order a new key from Chrysler for the doors by giving them your vin #? A buddy of mine just bought a 98 that had the ignition changed out and all he has is a key for the ignition, no door key.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 PM

If you get a junkyard lock, get the VIN of the donor vehicle. Your local Jeep dealer can cut a key based on the VIN. It cost me $5.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Can you order a new key from Chrysler for the doors by giving them your vin #? A buddy of mine just bought a 98 that had the ignition changed out and all he has is a key for the ignition, no door key.
On this one I would have the ignition tumbler made to fit the door key and then they will be the same. It's easier to change the ignition than having to change out all the door locks. I have done quite a bit of locksmithing and its actually not that complicated. Anyone who is mechanically inclined can actually do it themselves if they are patient with small parts.

Here is a simple layout with a minimal amount of tumblers. This would be similar to the key the OP of this thread has but his will have a couple more and the shape will be different but it gives an example of how they work inside. And a double sided key has a matching set of similar tumblers on each side. I have actually removed all but a couple of these I could make fit correctly and "mix and match" to do what I needed. No one else knows or figures they are missing.

Here is what a tumbler set for a double sided key should look like. This is a Dorman set designed to be universal and custom trimmed to fit any key/cylinder that fits these style of tumblers. Like I say... With a little patience for small parts anyone can do this.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 01-24-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry let me back up a bit here... In your friends case he needs to pull one of the door sets and have a key made for IT first. There should be a number etched into the slide that covers the tumbler assemblies. That number will give a locksmith the code for what length and what position the tumblers should be arranged into. Then take that key and make the ignition lockset fit it to match.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:20 PM

I went to a dealer to have a factory key made. They ordered a key for me (at $13) only to find that I have an aftermarket GM switch for my ignition. We cut the Jeep factory to match what I already had and the new ket would not even go in because of the extra groove that is on AMC/Jeep keys.

The keys they sent to my dealer were marked AMC! I was surprised that any were even still around. They also sent 10 when we only ordered one. LOL.

But, in answer to your question, yes, you can get a key from Chrysler. You will need your VIN #, proof of registration, and your ID.

Last edited by werewolf19; 01-24-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997

Sorry let me back up a bit here... In your friends case he needs to pull one of the door sets and have a key made for IT first. There should be a number etched into the slide that covers the tumbler assemblies. That number will give a locksmith the code for what length and what position the tumblers should be arranged into. Then take that key and make the ignition lockset fit it to match.
He doesn't care if he has to use two keys, he just wants to be able to lock his doors.