Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odometer and Trip counter not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Odometer and Trip counter not working

Hello All,

Bought a 91 jeep cherokee laradeo from a guy and within a few days, the odometer and trip guage stopped working at around 169k miles. The speedometer still works but the odometer and trip counter aren't not spinning. My understanding is that the gears can go bad in these mechanical gauges.

I was curious if anyone knew where I could get a odometer repair kit which as the gears required to fix the odometer and trip counter. They have them for other brands and models but I can't seem to find it for this 91 jeep cherokee larado. I can buy a brand new instrument cluster for around $150 but would rather just fix the odometer gears if any knew where to get them.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Maybe "the guy" didn't put it back together correctly?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:52 PM

If you are implying "the guy" is me, then you'd be wrong. I bought the jeep knowing it was a fixer upper but didn't know the odometer would stop working or maybe it was never working. Anyways, it's on my todo list and I"m coming to this forum to find out where I can buy the gears to replace the broken one. I've already cleaned the ground connectors and terminals and have replaced the vehicle speed sensor but now I plan to pull the dash and check out the guages. I've done a bunch of reading and am under the impression that with these older mechnical odometers sometimes the gears break or get warn out. Trying to source the worm(?) gears for this year and make before I start pulling the dash apart.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

It’s very easy to pull the gauge cluster. Four screws for the bezel, four screws for the cluster. If your 91 is like my 89, the speedometer/odometer is cable actuated, as opposed to later models which are fully electronic like my 96. You can probably confirm this without removing the dash by feeling around back there from under the dash.

An inexpensive source for parts is a junk yard. An entire gauge cluster can cost around $30. If you pull the part yourself you’ll get practice pulling the dash apart on a vehicle other than your own.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by cherokeegeek4life
If you are implying "the guy" is me, then you'd be wrong.
I'm not implying anything. You stated you purchased a vehicle and the odometer stopped working after a couple of days. I'm saying if the odometer was tampered with there will be issues as they are manufactured to be tamper resistant, not easy at all to clock.
Couple of real easy to checks
1. if you pull the bezel and don't see about 27 years worth of dust on the gauges and everything combined with fresh fingerprints back there...
2. if you look at the numerals on the odometer there should be a black vertical line between each if one or more are silver...
As stated above a junk yard is the only source for parts.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Well this was an ODD fix but saw it suggested by someone else on another forum. I took the odometer out of the gauge cluster and literally beat the odometer with my screwdriver a few times. Also "jiggled" the numbers on the odometer as well. Put the odometer and gauge cluster back in and the odometer is now working again. WTF..hahah