Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odometer swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Odometer swap

Does anyone have an idea how to swap out the odometer from my present instrument cluster into my new one so my mileage is current and I stay legal with state law? Or if there is someplace I can go to that will show me the procedure to swap them out? We are talking about a 91 IP cluster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS in advance!!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Odometer swap

anybody ??
Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

I did the same thing; went from my 87 cluster to a '92 cluster with Tach. Get out the dremel with the rubber socket used for holding the sanding cylinders and start spinning. Just kidding. The more reliable way is to carefully push the spindle that holds the numbered tumblers in place past its housing. Slide it out, turn them to the desired mileage, and carefully slide it back into place. These things are easy to damage so take your time. Now, I did mine knowing that I will be buried in my Cherokee and that the mileage is for my knowledge only. If you plan to sell it in the future, you might record the mileage and use a permanent marker on the back of the cluster to record the mileage prior to the swap. Not sure what legal issues you may run into, but I would think that if you take note of everything and exercise honesty in future transactions with your XJ you should be fine.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:37 AM

Thanks alpine.adrenaline but I don't think that was what I was looking for . What I am after is how you physically swap one odometer for another. I know it can be done because the tech at my Chrysler dealer said they do it when there is a malfunctioning odometer or when working on a wrecked vehicle or, for what ever reason they may have to change out an odometer. Of course they usually swap a new one for an old one, and they have to leave the vehicle sit in their lot until they receive the calibrated new one and the change is made. I don't want to roll back the mileage ( although I didn't know you could do that, because they are made so that in attempting to do so you can and probably will damage the odometer. ) ( not to mention the big brother camera over your shoulder ) I had read on a post where someone stated to someone else to swap out the odometer to solve the mileage dilemma when upgrading their cluster with out upgrading their mileage. So I know it can be done. I just don't want to experiment with my cluster.
Thanks again and if anybody knows how to do it. PLEASE let me know!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
I did the same thing; went from my 87 cluster to a '92 cluster with Tach. Get out the dremel with the rubber socket used for holding the sanding cylinders and start spinning. Just kidding. The more reliable way is to carefully push the spindle that holds the numbered tumblers in place past its housing. Slide it out, turn them to the desired mileage, and carefully slide it back into place. These things are easy to damage so take your time. Now, I did mine knowing that I will be buried in my Cherokee and that the mileage is for my knowledge only. If you plan to sell it in the future, you might record the mileage and use a permanent marker on the back of the cluster to record the mileage prior to the swap. Not sure what legal issues you may run into, but I would think that if you take note of everything and exercise honesty in future transactions with your XJ you should be fine.

Do not tell anyone how to reset the mileage on an odometer or even discuss the possibility of doing so on this forum. Odometer tampering is illegal, and discussion of illegal modifications is against the forum rules.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Winston427 is right, after looking into it I found there are several serious state and federal laws that prohibit changing the mileage on an odometer. I wasn't aware it was such an offense, but it makes sense because of people that would try to scam a buyer into thinking the vehicle had fewer miles. I apologize for suggesting such tampering.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Looks like a dry well on this one. I will let it ride for a few more days, and if nobody has any info on how to swap an odometer out, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go to the dealership and get it done. When I do get it done I will post the procedure. So somebody else can do it. I only know it is legal in Ohio you would have to check your own state law. Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

ck the phone book, or ask parts guy at the dealer who they use.
there's bound to be a speed-o repair place around where you live.
i know they can do it legally.
we have it done all the time. (fleet)
the dealer sends them to the same place we use.
turn around time is about 2 days.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

google:

odometer change notice sticker

All the info you need right there