Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

O2 sensor destroyed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline
Default O2 sensor destroyed...

I could use some help with how/why/where to start on this one...

So, awhile back ole Betsy started having some hesitation/acceleration problems. Turns out it was a burnt out O2 sensor. I replaced it, with Bosch because everything else was out of stock. Worked just great until about a week ago. I check the TPS and it tests fine. Look down and see my O2 sensor is bent where it connects to the exhaust. Pull it out and it is destroyed, I mean the metal is shredded to pieces. It is rubbing against the driveline somehow.

I can get the exhaust portion replaced so the O2 sensor is not in the way. But since this just started, I'm more worried something in the suspension was altered/moved. I am new at fixing my own Jeep still so not sure were to start or what to look at. Can the drive shift towards the passenger side? Would it just need an alignment or is it something more serious?

Currently have a plug in the O2 space until I can fig this out as I don't want to destroy another one. Quoted $100 to have the exhaust replaced from right above the O2 to the cat. Any help would be appreciated, TIA!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jen5
I could use some help with how/why/where to start on this one... So, awhile back ole Betsy started having some hesitation/acceleration problems. Turns out it was a burnt out O2 sensor. I replaced it, with Bosch because everything else was out of stock. Worked just great until about a week ago. I check the TPS and it tests fine. Look down and see my O2 sensor is bent where it connects to the exhaust. Pull it out and it is destroyed, I mean the metal is shredded to pieces. It is rubbing against the driveline somehow. I can get the exhaust portion replaced so the O2 sensor is not in the way. But since this just started, I'm more worried something in the suspension was altered/moved. I am new at fixing my own Jeep still so not sure were to start or what to look at. Can the drive shift towards the passenger side? Would it just need an alignment or is it something more serious? Currently have a plug in the O2 space until I can fig this out as I don't want to destroy another one. Quoted $100 to have the exhaust replaced from right above the O2 to the cat. Any help would be appreciated, TIA!
get some pics around the exhaust, the o2 sensors hole, and suspension around it. Is that the upstream 02 sensor? Also, what year is your jeep. I'm on the app so I can't see.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have this problem currently but its not this bad. First step I took was replacing the motor mounts. It helped a bit but it eventually came back and I think my track bar has shifted somewhere because the axle is pushed to the passenger side a bit. Mine is the back of the driveshaft yoke hitting the sensor.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 PM

I will get some pics this weekend, work and finals threw me off this for a bit. This is the upstream sensor, the pic where the O2 sensor is is right next to the front driveline. It is a 98 XJ, lifted but I'm not sure how much.

I haven't looked at the motor mounts yet, I'll take a look at those this weekend. I worked on my suspension a bit over the summer, replaced the front sway/links but I haven't looked at the rest yet.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 PM

I will get some pics this weekend, work and finals threw me off this for a bit. This is the upstream sensor, the pic where the O2 sensor is is right next to the front driveline. It is a 98 XJ, lifted but I'm not sure how much.

I haven't looked at the motor mounts yet, I'll take a look at those this weekend. I worked on my suspension a bit over the summer, replaced the front sway/links but I haven't looked at the rest yet.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Try to take some more photos of the motor mounts, exhaust in relation to oil pan, driveshaft, etc. Seems weird that this would happen unless something was busted. It seems even harder to believe the control arms or track bar could play a factor because by the time they were that bad you would be telling us you nearly died driving your Jeep today, etc...