Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NP231 Shifter positions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default NP231 Shifter positions

I figured I would post this thread for all future XJ home mechanics that have broken shifter linkage but need to shift their transfer cases.

Unfortunately you have to get out of your XJ to shift your transfer case into 4x4 or 4x2. The shifter rod coming out of your NP231 is roughly 2" long and has a plastic bushing on the end of it. When it's pointing almost perpendicular towards the ground, you're in 4Lo. From there, just follow the shift positions that are on your center console: it's Neutral next, followed by 4hi and then 2hi. When you're in 2 hi, the shifter is roughly parallel to the ground. Not completely, but you'll know when you can't move it up any further.

I had to figure this out today and figured that I would post it for everyone else's knowledge since after vehemently searching and scouring this forum and the rest of the internet, I couldn't find this info except in one place which had it backwards and I wound up driving on pavement for 100 yards in 4Lo.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
drdewald24 (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by porphyry
I figured I would post this thread for all future XJ home mechanics that have broken shifter linkage but need to shift their transfer cases.

Unfortunately you have to get out of your XJ to shift your transfer case into 4x4 or 4x2. The shifter rod coming out of your NP231 is roughly 2" long and has a plastic bushing on the end of it. When it's pointing almost perpendicular towards the ground, you're in 4Lo. From there, just follow the shift positions that are on your center console: it's Neutral next, followed by 4hi and then 2hi. When you're in 2 hi, the shifter is roughly parallel to the ground. Not completely, but you'll know when you can't move it up any further.

I had to figure this out today and figured that I would post it for everyone else's knowledge since after vehemently searching and scouring this forum and the rest of the internet, I couldn't find this info except in one place which had it backwards and I wound up driving on pavement for 100 yards in 4Lo.

Cheers!
8 years later and Im sitting here with an engine out and t-case shifter disconnected needing to push the car and your post saved me