Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

now what?ghetto rigged computer&engine harness from 97 grand in my 93 cherokee...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question now what?ghetto rigged computer&engine harness from 97 grand in my 93 cherokee...

well i just got a jeep that i traded for a honda.. and the self proclaimed mechanic i got it from... seems to of put a computer from a 1997 jeep grand cherokee 5.2l V8 into my 1993 jeep cherokee country. thing is.. in order for him to put a computer from a jeep as new as 97, he also took out the original (under hood)fuse box and wire harness that goes from the fuse box all the way over and plugs into the computer. what that also means... is inbetween the fuse box and computer, there are quite a number of leads coming off the main wire harness to connect to all sorts of things under the hood. most of the things he cut wires and spliced them together. in other places... some of the leads plugs plugged into the plugs coming off my engine....so now what??

my plan is to find a fusebox and wire harness from a 93 cherokee or other years that have the same thing... and just try to splice and hook things up... no luck finding a fuse box or wires yet.. no luck on ebay and the dealership couldnt even help me.. any ideas? and advice? and parts? i'm not a mechanic.. and this might be over my head...but that i wont know untill i try. so what do you think?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

have you tried painless wiring yet
Old 03-20-2009, 05:55 AM

i checked under my mother's 2000 cherokee sport 4.0 today to see what was up. her set up has the same kind of computer thats now been rigged up in my 93.. and after a lil research.. cherokee's changed their computer's over in 1996. so the guy wired my jeep up to use a 96-01 computer... so what if i put in a computer thats for a 1996 jeep cherokee 4.0l vs the computer thats in there thats for a 1997 jeep GRAND cherokee 5.2l V8. could that fix the problem... ???
Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How on earth is it running with a V-8 ECU??? Did I miss something??
Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 PM

Default new computer, new harness new fuse box... now there's no spark????

he rigged up a harness from some year after 1996 in the jeep. i got a wire harness from a 1992 jeep cherokee yesterday from a pull it yard in md... computer, complete uncut harness, and fuse box... all from the same jeep. got everything installed today except the wires that connect to my jeeps transfer case and tranny, are different then the one's on the harness i got from the 1992. as well, there is a plug over near the fuel injector wires that doest connect to a plug thats on a wire thats bolted with two bolts to the top of the bell houseing on the transmission... so i'm going back tomorrow to see if i can get other parts. only problem is.. i went to start jeep and it wouldnt turn over... found out its not getting spark now.... i used a multi meter at the plug that plugs into the igition coil and only got 12v out of one of the wires. am i supposed to get 12v out of both wires that go into the coil??? well i wasnt sure so i jumped both wires to direct 12v... still no spark... so now i have no clue what to do.... and paying somone isnt an option... any ideas?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM

Year: 1990 laredo

sounds like a real mess. good luck with it. At this point you may want to look into a painless wiring setup as mentioned above.