Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Not Overheating Thread, but What Else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Not Overheating Thread, but What Else?

I had a 93 XJ 5spd 4.0 4x4 for 300k+ from new until I gave it to my dad several years ago when I got a Tacoma.
Just bought a 2001 XJ Auto 4.0 2wd 104.5k miles for my son to learn to drive on in the fall. I figured 2wd is cheaper to insure for a kid and hasn't been beat on. Ebay buy, so expected some issues, but wanted the summertime project but want to keep the total outlay under control for a reliable vehicle. It had obviously been sitting. Paint good, interior great except for the headliner drooping. Tires will need to be replaced.

Oil Black. Cheapo bulk filter like Jiffy Lube Uses.
Coolant brown. Overflow looks like mud.
Auto Trans Fluid not terrible and doesn't stink.
Front calipers not seized but sticky. Brake Fluid is black.
Suspension bushings not terrible, but starting to show cracks.
Exhaust manifold doesn't hiss.
No bubbles in coolant.
The engine starts up quickly and sounds great. I haven't road tested it.

Changed out the Oil with some T6 and a Bosch Distance Plus to catch crud.
Did several iterations of flushing water through the radiator and then running and draining, then did a Prestone Flush, and then a couple more rounds of just water.
The electric fan works. Once the temp got (indicated) over about 215(?) it would cut on and the temp would drop. The speed at which the temp rose was slower the more flushing I did. The amount of heat out of the vents got warmer as well, but it is still not getting really hot. Air conditioning blows warm, but charging it back up will wait.

My plan for today if possible is to refill the radiator with 50/50 and reassemble the front end, get the brakes worked over and the brakelines flushed, and then maybe do a quick road test. It isn't necessarily legal yet, so it will have to be a quick road test. If time allows I would like to swap out the transmission fluid. I figure I will at least put a little road time on it to get the crud liquified before I drop the transmission pan and clean it up a little better.

I know there is a bunch of stuff I am missing, but short of farkles what should I be focusing on?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rule on oil filters for Jeep seems to be Pure1 or NAPA Gold........all others appear problematic.

Cooling is a constant issue, a new radiator is in your future........thread here regarding OEM rads.....look for it.

50/50 is a waste of your money. Distilled water only for final fill, flush with distilled water. Fill completely with distilled water, drain rad, empty one gallon of 100% into rad and then top off with distilled.

You will also want to replace hoses and stat.

Last edited by Jeep Driver; 06-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ove...-fixed-226061/
Old 06-12-2016, 06:06 PM

Pure 1 filters have had tearing issues for the past few years so I am staying away from them. I like the Fram Ultra (not Orange Can of Death) in as big a size as will fit. Eyeballing it looks like the XG8A size will fit.

The point of the post was that the Jeep is not overheating, so what other issues should I be on the lookout for?
I just recharged the air conditioner and ran it full blast in my driveway idling for 20 minutes and it stayed around 195-210 depending on the electric fan cycling. I drove around and it stayed pretty solidly below 200.
I am going to keep a close eye on the situation, but it seems stable right now.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

It's warm weather. Forget the antifreeze. do the Amway flush for a month or two before you put in the antifreeze.

See my sig.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 PM

My latest joy is the heater core. It was plugger solid. Did several back and forth iterations of water and air and have some decent flow through it. I drove it today and could get decent heat out of it but not winter-ready.
I like the Amway flush idea. Makes the drain a lot easier since it can go in the grass next to the driveway. Should help the heater core as well. I will just plan on tap water while using the detergent.
Next comes the transmission drain and fill sequence. I would like the shifting to smooth out a bit.
I also need to get rear speed bleeders on order. I am pretty sure they are 1/4-28. I have seen parts sizes listing 3/8-28 and 5/16-24, so I am hesitant to order. I need to find my orphan parts bin and try to visually match it up and then check thread size/pitch. I did the fronts already and they are solid.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:38 AM

I found some non-foaming industrial detergent/degreaser that is similar to dishwashing detergent but without the no streaking additive. Alconox.
I have been using it and water and I am seeing a gradual cleaning up. I reverse flush my heater core every day and it pukes black but is flowing good. I think the heater core basically acts as a filter for the cooling system.
I still have had zero issues with overheating, even with idling in 90+deg heat with the air conditioner on. The heat is even working, though I think it will improve with time and flushes. Once the water clears up I will do a last flush on the system and go back to green 50/50-ish coolant.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 Litre High Output

I think you're on the right track. Your Jeep sounds a lot like mine when I got it. Have to a flush soon of the rad again. Running Rotella with a Napa Gold has done very well for the engine in my 92.

I still need to have more of my brake fluid flushed. Think I will have it done since I really really hate brake fluid.