Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noise and black goo from ac pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noise and black goo from ac pulley

Hi all,

After changing the alternator, I worry I may have gotten the belt a little tight, though it passed the "twist 90 degrees" test (I know, I need a gauge...). Anyway, after stopping last night on a long trip, I noticed a very loud scraping/grinding noise coming from the AC pulley area, together with black, shiny goop on the front of the compressor housing, radiator hoses, idler pulley, battery, and even on the front of the new oil filter. All of the goop looks like it exploded out of the pulley/clutch. It smells pretty bad. The AC and heater will no longer power on.

Is it possible to find a pulley and clutch separately, or must I now order a whole new compressor? All I can find from a quick search are bypass pulleys, which might be my best option at the moment just to get me home, but I hate the idea of replacing the entire compressor (the previous owner had apparently done a 134a conversion at some point).

If this is due to over-tightening of the belt, have I potentially compromised the rest of the accessories? What should I be on the lookout for to know? Any help is very appreciated.