Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Start (won't turn over)...what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No Start (won't turn over)...what to check?****UPDATE*****No start yet..

Didn't change out the CPS yet (have the replacement) and was waiting for the weather to break some before doing the Transfer Case and floorboards...

But I thought I'd try to turn it over and run it at idle for a while (it's been a bit since I last did it).

So, put the key in...buzzes at me (door is open..I don't have seats, so was just trying to start while standing outside the car...).

Turn it, get a couple of clicks (sounds like the starter solenoid working...when the battery is REAL low).

Then nothing.

Put it on the charger for a while (3 hours at 10 amps)...nothing. Bump the charger up to 50amps...nothing. Buzzes when the key goes in the ignition but the volt meter inside doesn't read anything (normally will bump up a bit when you turn the key to 'run'). Battery is brand new...and I don't think anything was left running (lights, etc.).

Started fine before....then I took out the seats (cleaned and waiting for a nice floor to go on). Took out the old carpet...lots of rust holes needing work....so the 'console' is bare, but the gear shift is in Park (auto trans...all the way forward), and the 4 WD. selector is in 4WD Low (all the way back...grinds in the other gears). I did have to disconnect the other cable to the gear shift (I think it has to do with the lockout so you can't start it in gear...only Park). I did reconnect that thinking it might be the issue...but still nothing.

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks!

AFARR

******UPDATE 2/3*******

I put the battery on a charger and it didn't seem to work (i.e. the charger read that the battery was 'full'). So, I took the battery back to Sams and exchanged it. Put it in the Cherokee, and it still won't do anything (slight clicking from under the tunnel the first time I turn the key but nothing after that). I did turn the headlights on...and no light. The volt meter on the dash doesn't move much when I turn the key.

Could it be a bad ground somewhere or a blown fusible link or main fuse?

I'll have to play more this weekend (weather permitting)...had planned on working on the floorboards some instead, but have to get it turning over before I put more time into it...

Thanks!

AFARR

Last edited by AFARR; 02-03-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Update...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM

Year: 1994

Did you get your starter tested. They can fail without any warning. With the cold weather we were having, my Jeep was taking longer then usual to turn over. I replaced the battery. I installed the new battery, and nothing. I couldn't jump it, but I could push start it.

Took the starter out and tested it, it failed. Put a new starter in and now it works perfectly. This has happened on a lot of my vehicles, even my newest cars.

I hate starters.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM

Default With the weather...

I thought it might be that, but with the voltage meter not rising...was wanting to check some other stuff first. Don't have a garage to work on it, so I'm stuck with doing it on my back in the driveway....hence waiting on the weather to break.

AFARR
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Year: 1994

Yeah, not having garage space sucks. I had to change mine in the drive way. I know that feeling.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

have you tried to start it in neutral or do an actual jump start from another vehicle
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM

Default Did try in Neutral (no bezel for the shifter, but should be Park, Reverse, Neutral,

Drive, then lower gears...(I can look at the bezel tomorrow), so assuming I have it right, (2 clicks down from Park), did try neutral.

Also...I'll have to try the jump tomorrow.

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

p
r
n
d
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

check the grounds on your starter b4 just yankin it same with the battery
hope the jump gets it tho
Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Battery's new..

From Sams Club less than 6 mo ago...I suppose it could be bad. I'll have to play with it after the storm...

Will also check grounds, etc..

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Update Bottom of First post...

Update bottom of first post...

Still got problems...
Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by AFARR
Didn't change out the CPS yet (have the replacement) and was waiting for the weather to break some before doing the Transfer Case and floorboards...

But I thought I'd try to turn it over and run it at idle for a while (it's been a bit since I last did it).

So, put the key in...buzzes at me (door is open..I don't have seats, so was just trying to start while standing outside the car...).

Turn it, get a couple of clicks (sounds like the starter solenoid working...when the battery is REAL low).

Then nothing.

Put it on the charger for a while (3 hours at 10 amps)...nothing. Bump the charger up to 50amps...nothing. Buzzes when the key goes in the ignition but the volt meter inside doesn't read anything (normally will bump up a bit when you turn the key to 'run'). Battery is brand new...and I don't think anything was left running (lights, etc.).

Started fine before....then I took out the seats (cleaned and waiting for a nice floor to go on). Took out the old carpet...lots of rust holes needing work....so the 'console' is bare, but the gear shift is in Park (auto trans...all the way forward), and the 4 WD. selector is in 4WD Low (all the way back...grinds in the other gears). I did have to disconnect the other cable to the gear shift (I think it has to do with the lockout so you can't start it in gear...only Park). I did reconnect that thinking it might be the issue...but still nothing.

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks!

AFARR

******UPDATE 2/3*******

I put the battery on a charger and it didn't seem to work (i.e. the charger read that the battery was 'full'). So, I took the battery back to Sams and exchanged it. Put it in the Cherokee, and it still won't do anything (slight clicking from under the tunnel the first time I turn the key but nothing after that). I did turn the headlights on...and no light. The volt meter on the dash doesn't move much when I turn the key.

Could it be a bad ground somewhere or a blown fusible link or main fuse?

I'll have to play more this weekend (weather permitting)...had planned on working on the floorboards some instead, but have to get it turning over before I put more time into it...

Thanks!

AFARR
no head lights battery or bad connection to it
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
no head lights battery or bad connection to it
Not likely the battery (new battery, tests at 12.8V). I'll go down the line to the connections (and grounds).

Thanks!

AFARR
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Symptoms sound like poor connection somewhere. Positive or ground side, loose or corroded terminal connections will have same results.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5L

go through ALL of your fuses, make sure none are blown, check your battery cables to make sure where they mount to is SECURE no headlights and clicking shows all sings of a dead battery, if your battery is full, then your not getting a good connection. I'm willing to be it's your battery connection.