Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No start diesel

Hi guys i,ve tried this before but not got a usefull reply, i can see a lot of similar unanswered cries for help with the same issue ie no start due to security system the security system on my 1997 xj limited 2.5 turbo diesel is preventing me starting the beast. it starts for about 3 seconds and then dies , I assume this is due to the ecu telling the fuel pump quantity spooling device to go to closed ie no fuel. I have the fob for the rke but i suspect the rke receiver is trashed its got worse over time , range reduced now its not working at all tried unlocking the doors and liftgate with the key , still the security lamp is lit. Yesterday i was in there with my multimeter checking the canbus voltage on the pos and neg canbus cables they seem to be ok , i probed the neg canbus cable with continuity on the multimeter one probe to neg ground and the security lamp went off , i got all exited cranked the starter and the beast fired up and ran. Turned her off started again 4 or 5 times all seemed ok then left her off for approx 3 mins put key in ign hey ho security lamp lit again , i thought no problem i,ll stab the cable again, no way jose, . If anyone has a clue how to get around this problem i,m sure it would make a lot of folks very happy, i dont think Jeep can have made this system more impenetrable than Susan Boyle, best regards Rob
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Anyone with any ideas, also found high ohms reading on ccd neg purple and brown cable its about 130 whereas the black and white ccd pos cable is approx 0.3 regards Rob