Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start after use/fuel gauge doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No start after use/fuel gauge doesnt work

I purchased 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country a few months ago and everything has been going great with it. Just the other day I was going to class and it started right up, i drove to class, parked it and went to class. I came back to it roughly 2 hours later and whenever I went to start it, it would just crank and crank but wouldn't turn over and start. I left and came back around an hour and a half after that to try it again and it started right up. Yesterday it started right up in the morning but whenever i tried to start it up again a little after i drove it, it does the same thing. It seems as if it doesn't want to start whenever it is still warm. Any help would be appreciated as I'm currently in college and do not have a lot of free time to try and figure it out other than on the weekends Also whenever I turn the key I was able to hear the fuel pump kick on but it sounded a little weak. I'm not sure how long it is suppose to sound like its running but it kicked on for about a second or two. My gas gauge doesn't work either. It has always been a little off of what it should be but now it doesn't move at all. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Start by checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a mechanical pressure gauge. If I'm not mistaken the 95 should have 39psi and it should hold the pressure. If the pressure is fine and it still doesn't want to start try the poor mans prime. Turn the key on until you hear the fuel pump come on ( do not attempt to start it yet). Prime the pump 2 or 3 times then try to start it. If you still have a no start. Unplug the CPS and check the connection. then try to start it. If it starts then your CPS is going out. Give that a try and let us know what happens.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM

I went and rented a pressure gauge from my local auto zone. I put the gauge on and started up the jeep. This is what I got...

Is it bad that it is at 50? Or is there another way I should go about doing it?
Attached Thumbnails No start after use/fuel gauge doesnt work-forumrunner_20131117_153324.jpg   No start after use/fuel gauge doesnt work-forumrunner_20131117_153336.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Ok! you fuel pressure is fine. Couldn't remember what year that the pressure range changed from 39 to 49. I guess yours would be the 49psi range. Now I would look into the CPS. Also make sure that you have good spark It should be a bright blue spark. A white or orange spark will cause hard start. Here is Cruiser's write up on how to check your CPS. Just remember that the check isn't always right. My CPS checked out Ok but it was still failing. Once I changed it out I had fixed my no start problem.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.

Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.

The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.

Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.

You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.

If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.

Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.

A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole to 3/8" from the stock 5/16", or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Attached Thumbnails
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 with 96 cam and 19lb.four hole injectors

I would like to chime in with a quick sugestion. If it does have good spark then try pulling the vacuum line that goes to the top of the valve cover. What this will do is add a little extra air,(oxygen),to the fuel/air mixture. If this works,(starts), then your throttle blade may be set too tight and the throttle position sensor may need adjusted. This was the case with my 87 4.0
Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 with 96 cam and 19lb.four hole injectors

Cruiser also has a write up on how to adjust the TPS along with many other helpful tips and procedures that work with renix jeeps (87-90) and may work with your 95 as well
Old 11-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Thank you both very much. I'm going to check the cps and see how that goes. If it doesn't work I'll look into the tps once I find some extra time.

I will let you guys know how it goes and what happens.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ZWis212
Thank you both very much. I'm going to check the cps and see how that goes. If it doesn't work I'll look into the tps once I find some extra time.

I will let you guys know how it goes and what happens.
Not a problem. Keep us updated so if you are still having problems we can go from there.
BTW, If you do find that you need a new CPS do yourself a big favor and get an OEM one from the dealer. Many after market ones tend to be bad right out of the box. If the do work they don't last long.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM

So I came home from school today for thanksgiving and I left the jeep at home for a week and a half. Nobody in my family ran it during that week and a half. I went to start it up and it was a pretty rough start but after cranking and a little bit of gas it turned over. I let it run for a little and shut it off. Went to start it up about an hour later and it started right up. Not sure if because it sat for so long is why is started up... If something happens while its warm that wont let it start, like the cps?

Also could having low gas affect the start up? My gas gauge doesn't work and always reads empty. I keep track of my miles to know when I need to fill up but i don't have an exact reading. Could having low gas cause it to not want to start? Possibly if i always kept it somewhat full, would that help? Just thinking of some ideas here. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Alright, so if anyone still reads this,

Finally got to thoroughly look at everything in the jeep. I wasnt getting any spark to the plugs and not any to the coil while cranking the engine over to start it. Just because I dont know the last time they were replaced, i replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Took the coil out and it was cracked along both sides so i replaced that as well and after putting it all back in a was getting spark to the coil and plugs.

But while cranking the engine to try and start it, it still wouldn't turn over and start.

Was at a loss because ive checked the fuel pressure earlier along the rail. Just to be safe I checked to see if there was any pressure at the rail and there wasnt. Nothing at all. I went under while my buddy turned the key on to hear the fuel pump kick on. There was no sound. Nothing kicked on. I noticed there was a loose white wire coming out of the pump that didnt lead to anything. It ended up being a ground wire and whenever I pushed it against the tank and my buddy turned the key, the jeep fired right up! I still have to permanently ground it to the tank.

As soon as I pull it off of the tank, the jeep shuts off. So happy I finally figured it out. Hopefully it keeps running strong.

Thanks for the help anyway, still useful information and help that I appreciate!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

At least you got her running. When you fix the ground wire you should clean all of your grounding points. They include the battery, battery to fender, coil, oil dipstick, rear of the head to the fire wall and the mounting area between the starter and and the block. Don't just check them but actually clean them with a wire brush or some sand paper. As you have found out just one bad ground point can cause all kinds of problems on our Jeeps. I hope she keeps running for you. BTW, Thank for the update because people do keep reading these post and it may help someone else with the same problem.