Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Start after Fill up, no crank. NSS clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default No Start after Fill up, no crank. NSS clean

Hi guys

My GF is driving the XJ and in the past she has been telling me the XJ wont start sometimes when she is at the gas station. I told her its because she bad mouths my XJ about how old it is. The Jeep ALWAYS starts when I drive it but for some reason when she drives it tends to not start sometimes.

here are the symptoms:
  • It usuallly does it at fill ups
  • No crank
  • NSS has been cleaned recently
  • If you place it in manual and push it a bit sometimes it will start
  • If she calls me to tell me the XJ is not starting then the XJ will start as she is on the phone with me (I'm not kidding it has happened 5 times)
1994 4d 2wd Auto 130k

Thanks in advance, she just called me and she said she pushed it a bit and it finally started.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

sounds like your XJ has got a beef with your GF lol
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6 HO

Yeah, sounds like the girlfriend is going bad. You'll need to replace her within the next few miles, or you'll end up dead on the trail somewhere. I'd get a new one too, the JY ones don't seem to work as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

HA HA HA ^^^ thats too funny!!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Loganfwx
Yeah, sounds like the girlfriend is going bad. You'll need to replace her within the next few miles, or you'll end up dead on the trail somewhere. I'd get a new one too, the JY ones don't seem to work as well.

^^^ LOL she better not see this she will find you on foot XJ or not. She will find someone fitting

<--XJ Description
Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM

No but seriously you guys....

Do you think it could be the battery? its quite old but you can leave the lights on for a while and the thing starts not problem... maybe the AMPS?

Solenoid?

Also Fuel pump was replaced but that was about a year ago.. could the installation brought up issues?

Could it be that the NSS is not quite lined up? how come it only happens some times?

I dont want her stranded with my one month old in this Texas heat.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Engine: 4.0 Straight 6 HO

I don't know about the NSS. Mine was acting up, not starting in park, so I started it in neutral for a few days (about a month or two ago) and it started starting in park again, and I haven't had trouble since.

So it could or it could not be that, I don't know really.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM
crc

If it is happening at fill ups, is she topping it off a lot. If it's happening to her and not you, are you filling up differently? I've heard of no starts from that.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Battery. Clean connections. No crank means no juice somewhere...either bad connection or not enough amperage. Somewhere there is a fault and it's not with the fuel system.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by crc
If it is happening at fill ups, is she topping it off a lot. If it's happening to her and not you, are you filling up differently? I've heard of no starts from that.

She never fills it up of course I always do
Old 06-04-2010, 12:05 PM

As an added incinative to resolve this issue. She said I could post a picture of her in a bathing suit if we solve the problem.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Year: 1995

I'd place my bet on the NSS, even though it's been cleaned.

-E
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

What is it exactly that it is doing for her? Is she turning the key and it doesn't even try to start? is it trying to start but not firing up? When you say you cleaned your NSS, I am hoping you mean you took it apart, cleaned the contacts and regreased, right? If it isn't even trying to start, could be the relay. if it is trying to start, but not firing up, could be a fuel issue, like the filter is clogged... with it being only when she fills up, i dunno what that could point to specifically, but having to push start sounds kinda like a filter issue or the NSS to me, but i am not expert, heh.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by 1000jeep
As an added incinative to resolve this issue. She said I could post a picture of her in a bathing suit if we solve the problem.
alright post it up.........
Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cuzco25
What is it exactly that it is doing for her? Is she turning the key and it doesn't even try to start? is it trying to start but not firing up? When you say you cleaned your NSS, I am hoping you mean you took it apart, cleaned the contacts and regreased, right? If it isn't even trying to start, could be the relay. if it is trying to start, but not firing up, could be a fuel issue, like the filter is clogged... with it being only when she fills up, i dunno what that could point to specifically, but having to push start sounds kinda like a filter issue or the NSS to me, but i am not expert, heh.
She is turning the key bells and whistles go on but when the key is turning all the way no crank, no dimming, no lazy start, no noise...NOTHING like you didnt turn the key at all. Voltage is at 13-volts (measured at battery)

NSS was taken appart springs and everything cleaned and regreased this was done months ago, no problems for months. This just started happening few weeks ago.

I have a question... if it was the crank sensor wouldn't it at least crank but run rough?

Maybe a bad ground somewhere?

Quick Reply: No Start after Fill up, no crank. NSS clean