Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No reverse after valve body shift kit install... But with more to the story.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6
Thumbs down No reverse after valve body shift kit install... But with more to the story.

So after all this, my stg 2 stroker engine runs grrreat... Only problem is I have no reverse, forward yes.

I installed the transgo shift kit, sonax lock up valve kit and a solenoid kit into a known good transmission with 100,000 less miles than my original.

During the break in I noticed the trans lines get super fing hot. After the break in I tried to put it into gear, naturally, To my surprise it went forward in, R, N, D, 3, it would not go into 1-2 at all and even wanted to creep in park... I had the wheels chocked during break in on a drive on lift so did not notice this weird behavior....

I immediately knew that I did not line up the selector rod gear on the transmission with the selector piston on the side of the valve body, idk if those are exact terms but its close enough.

So I pulled the pan off, loosed the valve body and moved that piston onto the tab coming off the gear selector shaft. The fluid was.... Disturbing, not dark, not red, but more clear with a redish tint? Smelled bad...

Now I have normal park, N, D, 3, 1-2, but no reverse. I can feel/hear it it "move" into gear but the RPMs do not drop and pushing the gas it just revs, no attempts to go backwards.

My theory: I overheated the transmission during break in due to it being half in and out of reverse/P? with that valve body piston in the wrong spot. The clutches/bands? burned up and I get no R.

I hope I kept this short as possible and clear to understand. I've had a few tonight I am a bit upset have so many hours into this and about $400 into this transmission alone.... But IT IS my mistake.

I guess my question is: Would it be okay to take the valve body with shift kit and the accumulator springs out along with the new solenoids and put it in my original transmission? Or should I just leave tish alone? What about my torque converter, I just had it rebuilt....

What else could I do or check/replace before putting the old trans back in???? It worked fine btw with 270,000mi.

Yes the fluid is at the full hot mark.

Last edited by darknezz; 07-19-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

No responses???

After talking to my coworker who has taken a transmission class at auto school he said to just swap valve bodies because R and 1 share the clutches and band. So if I have first I should have R unless something wrong with fluid flow.

Swapped valve bodies with the old trans and put all the original accumulator springs stuff in the current trans. I did transfer over the new updated solenoids.

I have reverse and all gears, yay.

Now to put on the front clip, air filter, tune and take the boat out on Sunday ^_^ I'm only as month behind schedule....

Last edited by darknezz; 07-20-2018 at 11:17 PM.